• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home broadband though Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    If ADSL is too slow and fibre too expensive then it may be possible to use a 3g/4g/5g mobile broadband purchased in the company name, and if it works as good as it can (depending on signal and contention) then get rid of the ADSL/landline.

Can get a big chunk of monthly data (20-50gb) all the way up to 'unlimited' depending on the provider and contract length, and use either a MiFi unit or SIM only in a mobile phone with wifi hotspot for getting online via other devices.

Cutting the cord doesn't only apply to TV.
    Have looked at this as an option but is seems to be around £40 a month which is similar to BT FTTP which is the only other option available here.

Comment

I forgot to add - I recommend Virgin 350Mb fibre if you can get it. I get a £5/month discount as I also have a business mobile plan with them too. Costs £35 ex VAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
        Have looked at this as an option but is seems to be around £40 a month which is similar to BT FTTP which is the only other option available here.
        £40 a month is not high, it’s about normal for broadband with a phone line. Have you checked moneysavingexpert.com for what’s available in your area.

I was paying £37 a month for 72Mb broadband with BT, it wasn’t FTTP.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

my opinion is that if I had an extra line, for business use only, then it's fine.
          I can't justify to myself the additional cost.
          I do find Vodafone 4G is brilliiant though, so if I have a broadband oops I just switch to tethering.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
            £40 quid a month sounds high. If you can get a decent Three signal then their budget brand Smarty are currently offering unlimited 3g/4g data, calls, txts for £22/month with only 1 month contract.

Unlimited data SIM plan with no resctriction (2019 Best Value SIM winner)

That's sim only so can use it in a MiFi unit or suitable phone.

Maybe they're £40 for business plans but for this situation I'd get a personal plan and expense it to the business along with a business mobile that you may or may not have much actual use of. If you have a separate personal phone then all's good in terms of separation as far as the business records go. "No sir, I received no benefit in kind." They aren't going to be sat outside with a detector van checking your tethering/wifi hotspot usage unless you are under a much bigger investigation than business expenses.

Edit: I'd have that Smarty plan but Three signal coverage in my general locality is patchy so will be looking for a cheap EE/Vodaphone/O2 deal in the Black Friday sales.
            Last edited by Hobosapien; 13 November 2019, 10:00.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Great thanks for the advice, it sounds like Smarty could be the answer. Also I think it a more legitimate business expense than home broadband as it can be used when on the move.. being able to use a 4g dongle for work when on the train etc would justify it as an expense beyond existing personal use.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I put 50% of the cost of bband through my LtdCo. It's a fair proportion of usage. How much you wish your company to contribute will be directly proportional to your attitude to risk.
                Interesting. My BB is also mostly business. My accountant didn't think it was worth the faff to try to claim any back since the saving would not be that much, certainly not worth the perceived elevated risk if HMRC decided to look more closely at all one's expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Interesting. My BB is also mostly business. My accountant didn't think it was worth the faff to try to claim any back since the saving would not be that much, certainly not worth the perceived elevated risk if HMRC decided to look more closely at all one's expenses.
                  To reiterate: if the BB contract is not in the company name then you can’t reclaim any of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X