• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel expenses - accountant seems useless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Surly OP should be paying his tax in France or Belgium if he works there during the week ?
    Quite possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      UK travel is not deductible nowadays.
      On what basis????
      I claim business travel in the UK. 45p per mile + all hotels and food/drinks.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        On what basis????
        Ditto.

Comment

On what basis????.
          Where's NLUK when you need him?
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

On what basis????
            Exactly, so do I £12k for my last company year period +VAT

Comment

Where's NLUK when you need him?
              Not sure you why you want me around TBF.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I recall a lot of whingeing on IPSE about no longer being able to claim travel.

Also a friend of mine was recently a permie with a very large organisation, FootsieCo. His workplace was London but because he had teams in both London and Edinburgh, he had to spend 2-3 days per week in Edinburgh.

FootsieCo suddenly sent him a large amount of money. When he asked why, they said it was to compensate him. They had put all of his air fares and hotels on his P11D so he was facing a massive tax bill. Apparently this was part of a wider discussion they'd had with the Revenue.

Nobody seems to be supporting me but I remain sceptical that contractors can now legitimately claim travel from home to client except maybe if they only go on rare occasions.
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Also a friend of mine was recently a permie with a very large organisation, FootsieCo. His workplace was London but because he had teams in both London and Edinburgh, he had to spend 2-3 days per week in Edinburgh.

FootsieCo suddenly sent him a large amount of money. When he asked why, they said it was to compensate him. They had put all of his air fares and hotels on his P11D so he was facing a massive tax bill. Apparently this was part of a wider discussion they'd had with the Revenue.

Nobody seems to be supporting me but I remain sceptical that contractors can now legitimately claim travel from home to client except maybe if they only go on rare occasions.
                  Temporary workplace rules - definition

If your friend was expected to have to work in Edinburgh on an ongoing basis as part of his job, not for a temporary period of time for a specific purpose, then yes that travel would not be claimable.

If I work for MyCo, with my normal place of work being MyCo's office, and I take on a six month contract elsewhere then that travel, subsistence etc is claimable because the expected duration of the temporary workplace is less than two years. If towards the end of that contract I accept an extension for a further two years, the workplace is no longer temporary and no further travel or subsistence is claimable.

Comment

There are a number of circumstances where travel costs would not be reclaimable:

* You're a permie and your travel is considered ordinary commuting to a permanent workplace.
                    * You work for an umbrella and perform a single assignment, making your client office a permanent workplace.
                    * You work for an umbrella for a number of assignments but due to the rules around "supervision, direction or control" you are unable to reclaim travel expenses.
                    * You work for your own Ltd and are operating under IR35
                    * You work for your own Ltd and are operating outside IR35, work on-site at least 40% of the time andyour current contract has exceeded (or you expect it to exceed) 24 months.

Conversely, there are scenarios where you can legitimately claim travel expenses as a contractor:

* You work for an umbrella over multiple assignments and are not caught by the "supervision, direction or control" rules.
                    * You work for your own Ltd and are operating outside IR35 and are not caught by the 40%/24 month rule for travel to a temporary workplace.
                    * You work for your own Ltd outside of IR35 and are travelling for some other business purpose besides working on-site.

Comment

I recall a lot of whingeing on IPSE
                      nuff said
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X