• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel expenses - accountant seems useless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    If you're with an umbrella, are engaged on multiple assignments (so each client site can qualify as a temporary workplace) and you are not caught by the SDC rule, then you can "claim" expenses. With a brolly, all that really means is that your net pay after umbrella fees gets carved up into "expenses" (not taxable if they are legitimate tax-deductible expenses) and "salary" (subject to PAYE as usual).

So if your day rate is £500, the brolly charges £20/day admin fees and you claim £30 in travel expenses, you will receive a reimbursement of £30 tax free for your expenses (taken out of the £480 left after brolly fees) and the remaining £450 will be income subject to PAYE.
    No you won’t

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      No you won’t
      I was waiting for someone else to come along and chime in here too, as I seem to be the only person who is skeptical of this.

But I was hoping it would be someone who doesn't regularly post rubbish

Any chance one of our accountants chime in here?

I still don't see how travel expenses can be reclaimed pre-tax (so as to save Income tax/NI) in an Umbrella scenario.

Comment

I don't think there's any dispute that travel is technically reclaimable if it's to a genuine temporary workspace. However it would be very rare for this to apply in an Umbrella scenario and I wouldn't be surprised if many Umbrellas just operate as though it's not possible. They'll be right almost all the time.

Comment

Pretty sure TCP is right. Can't be under SDC with a brolly and claim. But if you aren't, you may be able to claim expenses for traveling to temporary workplaces.

Comment

As has been mentioned already, travel expenses are not claimable through an umbrella unless you can show you aren’t caught by the SDC rule. Nobody is disputing that.

Claiming expenses through an umbrella company

Comment

Working...
            X