• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling the LTD and taxes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling the LTD and taxes

Hi, been reading for a long time. Nice forum.

I received an offer for my LTD.

Some history: LTD is ~10 years old, always been in good standing and constantly trading. I own 51% of shares, spouse 49%.
    The offer comes form someone who also has an LTD but young (3 years I think).They offer services by participating in public tenders.
    It seems there are some requirements by some clients (government/local etc.) where the tender participant must be older LTD.

What I have been offered is to sell my shares at the value of my LTD being the warchest + 5% markup. I.e. if I have X in my LTD account I will get X*5%.

IR35 ahead and I might need to close the LTD anyway. The question is if I sell the LTD (shares) and this income comes to me (wife) personally how is it taxed?
    Is it taxed as CG (with CGT allowance)?
    Or is it taxed as regular income = personal tax in appropriate bands.
    Other?

Originally posted by vas View Post
    Hi, been reading for a long time. Nice forum.

I received an offer for my LTD.

Some history: LTD is ~10 years old, always been in good standing and constantly trading. I own 51% of shares, spouse 49%.
    The offer comes form someone who also has an LTD but young (3 years I think).They offer services by participating in public tenders.
    It seems there are some requirements by some clients (government/local etc.) where the tender participant must be older LTD.

What I have been offered is to sell my shares at the value of my LTD being the warchest + 5% markup. I.e. if I have X in my LTD account I will get X*5%.

IR35 ahead and I might need to close the LTD anyway. The question is if I sell the LTD (shares) and this income comes to me (wife) personally how is it taxed?
    Is it taxed as CG (with CGT allowance)?
    Or is it taxed as regular income = personal tax in appropriate bands.
    Other?
    On the face of it it would appear that you'd pay CGT on the disposal, with both you and your spouse being able to utilise your annual CGT allowance if not used elsewhere and pay CGT at 10% on the remainder, assuming Entrepreneur's Relief applies.

There's an "anti Phoenixing" TAAR which in some circumstances prevents you retaining the capital treatment if you set up another company within two years of a capital distribution, but the wording appears to only catch distributions made as part of a winding up, not a sale. I don't think this would apply but I'd take advice on that point before making a decision.

Sounds like a rather sweet deal. I might be interested in knowing who's making such an offer!

Comment

Why would anyone want to buy it?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Why would anyone want to buy it?
        See paragraph three of the OP, final line.

Comment

For me it seems too good to be true. So caution is needed.

Did some checks, and yes, there are requirements for a LTD in a public tender to have history of X years. So this checks out.

If my accountant also confirm CGT is paid on share sale post CGT allowance, I might consider it. TAAR 2 years rule is not a problem: if I sell I will be permie (most of us will be )

Regarding the 5% markup - it seems to me that they are willing to pay for status. Also the area they apply for public work in brings 6 digit turnovers and not starting with 1-5. Sometimes 7 digits.

Comment

For some reason I thought TAAR only applied if you took ER alongside the MVL, looks like I was incorrect in that assumption ?
            "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
              For some reason I thought TAAR only applied if you took ER alongside the MVL, looks like I was incorrect in that assumption ?
              Yes, I think so. The TAAR is there to stop reclassification of income to capital where this is deemed inappropriate. ER just reduces the CGT rate payable (as you know) - I don't think it has any relevance to whether the TAAR would apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
                Yes, I think so. The TAAR is there to stop reclassification of income to capital where this is deemed inappropriate. ER just reduces the CGT rate payable (as you know) - I don't think it has any relevance to whether the TAAR would apply.
                I bit confused here, will TAAR apply when selling the LTD? This in connection if you are CG taxed on the income from the sale.

Comment

Originally posted by vas View Post
                  I bit confused here, will TAAR apply when selling the LTD? This in connection if you are CG taxed on the income from the sale.
                  The wording of the TAAR conditions suggests not. Four conditions need to be met, of which the fourth is:
                  Condition D: it is reasonable to assume that the main purpose, or one of the main purposes of the winding up is the avoidance or reduction of a charge to Income Tax

Bold emphasis mine.

However if you read this source, specifically the "Spotlight 47" paragraph, the implication is that the revenue believe it does apply on a sale.

To a simple mind like mine it's hard to see how the revenue can force an interpretation that would appear to be explicitly and deliberately not covered in the legislation. No doubt the courts will decide eventually...

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
                    The wording of the TAAR conditions suggests not. Four conditions need to be met, of which the fourth is:
                    Condition D: it is reasonable to assume that the main purpose, or one of the main purposes of the winding up is the avoidance or reduction of a charge to Income Tax

Bold emphasis mine.

However if you read this source, specifically the "Spotlight 47" paragraph, the implication is that the revenue believe it does apply on a sale.

To a simple mind like mine it's hard to see how the revenue can force an interpretation that would appear to be explicitly and deliberately not covered in the legislation. No doubt the courts will decide eventually...
                    Interesting this.

So to recap:

- Income of share sales will be taxed at CGT rate (10%) minus the personal CGT allowance. Where does the ER come into this? I thought it is just on personal level - you have shares, you sell them you pay CGT.

- Phoenixing (TAAR) will apply on the share sale. This is the cautious approach based on SL 47. Or if you are adventurous, and need be, open new LTD in less than 2 years and take HMRC to court if they challenge you.

Comment

Working...
                    X