• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed re parking fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    What are you on about?

My point to OP is that travel expenses aren’t claimable. Parking fees are travel expenses.
    Worry not about comprehension of GoT's posts. His are second only to NLUK's posts in his perpetual rush to blurt out something random.

MDavies, you don't 'receive' or 'allocate' expenses if via an umbrella. I 'believe' you may still get 5% set aside to cover everything. Even if that in reality covers nothing. And that 5% is calculated and received as part of your net 'salary'.

Correct me if wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      What are you on about?

My point to OP is that travel expenses aren’t claimable. Parking fees are travel expenses.
      I thought that parking provided by employers isn't a BIK.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        Worry not about comprehension of GoT's posts. His are second only to NLUK's posts in his perpetual rush to blurt out something random.

MDavies, you don't 'receive' or 'allocate' expenses if via an umbrella. I 'believe' you may still get 5% set aside to cover everything. Even if that in reality covers nothing. And that 5% is calculated and received as part of your net 'salary'.

Correct me if wrong.
        How do you get this 5% from net pay ?

Idiot

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          How do you get this 5% from net pay ?

Idiot
          Your evident charm aside, I believe I am right in saying, you are afforded 5% expenses from the gross pay before net pay is calculated.

The 5% is a token gesture towards any and all expenses, irrespective of what expenses are Actually incurred.

I am not through a brolly so perhaps my understanding is dated.

Anyway, looks like there is another 'contributor' to add to the Ignore list...

Comment

Do you get the 5% if operating via an Umbrella? I was under the impression that that only applied to LtdCos operating inside IR35, and even then it was removed for Public Sector engagements a couple of years ago (so will presumably be removed for everyone in April.)

Comment

Your evident charm aside, I believe I am right in saying, you are afforded 5% expenses from the gross pay before net pay is calculated.

The 5% is a token gesture towards any and all expenses, irrespective of what expenses are Actually incurred.

I am not through a brolly so perhaps my understanding is dated.

Anyway, looks like there is another 'contributor' to add to the Ignore list...

But you are wrong, your advice is wrong, you don’t know what you are talking about - sorry for calling you an idiot

When via a Brolly you get everything PAYE hence you can’t take any expenses or this magic 5%

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
                Do you get the 5% if operating via an Umbrella? I was under the impression that that only applied to LtdCos operating inside IR35, and even then it was removed for Public Sector engagements a couple of years ago (so will presumably be removed for everyone in April.)
                This is correct

Comment

Anyway, subsequent to GoT being added to the Ignore list, and subsequent to some digging.

1. If via a Brolly and Outside IR35, 5% rings true
                  2. If via a Brolly and Inside IR35, there are no Expenses allowable, 5% or otherwise.

Pertinent to the initial post, MDavies does not tell us whether his contract is inside or outside.

Can IR35 contractors still work through a limited company? | Crunch

HMRC recognises you incur expenses in running your limited company and therefore allows you to calculate the employment tax you owe based on 95% of the amount your company receives from your contracts which are inside IR35.

However, you need to be aware that the allowance does not apply to any contracts deemed to be inside IR35 by your public sector clients. Additionally, the government is proposing extending these rules to the private sector from April 2020 – so you don’t have long to take advantage of this tax allowance.
                  Perhaps we will hear back from Mark...

Comment

1. If via a Brolly and Outside IR35, 5% rings true
                    If via a brolly "outside IR35" is utterly meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
                      If via a brolly "outside IR35" is utterly meaningless.
                      I don't disagree. But people do it. Hence the response to cover both options.

Comment

Working...
                      X