• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed re parking fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simes View Post
    I don't disagree. But people do it. Hence the response to cover both options.
    Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just genuinely don't follow. Anyone being paid via a brolly is being paid via PAYE. IR35 is utterly irrelevant to anyone being paid via PAYE. There is no "inside" or "outside".

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
      Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just genuinely don't follow. Anyone being paid via a brolly is being paid via PAYE. IR35 is utterly irrelevant to anyone being paid via PAYE. There is no "inside" or "outside".
      I can only go by the above link and quoted paragraphs. If they are incorrect, then we should take them round the back and give'em a good kicking.

As before, I have never 'gone' via brolly so am only paraphrasing.

Comment

I have never 'gone' via brolly so am just guessing
        FTFY
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I don't disagree. But people do it. Hence the response to cover both options.
          Is a village missing you somewhere ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I get the feeling Simes will never admit to bring clueless or wrong - and start pulling other wrong peoples posts

Man up man and withdraw

If I’m wrong I say so, man up

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              FTFY
              A rare wit. Thanks for your input.

Paraphrasing the bloody link and paragraphs. Read'em and let me know thoughts.

Comment

Anyway, subsequent to GoT being added to the Ignore list, and subsequent to some digging.

1. If via a Brolly and Outside IR35, 5% rings true
                2. If via a Brolly and Inside IR35, there are no Expenses allowable, 5% or otherwise.

Pertinent to the initial post, MDavies does not tell us whether his contract is inside or outside.

Can IR35 contractors still work through a limited company? | Crunch.
                You are completely wrong. The 5% applies only if you have an inside IR35 contract with the private sector and operate via your own limited company. The limited company (until April 2020) can deduct travel and subsistence expenses, and 5% of the remainder before calculating the NI due for that caught contract.

If you go through a brolly there is no 5%.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  You are completely wrong. The 5% applies only if you have an inside IR35 contract with the private sector and operate via your own limited company. The limited company (until April 2020) can deduct travel and subsistence expenses, and 5% of the remainder before calculating the NI due for that caught contract.

If you go through a brolly there is no 5%.
                  Oh crap!

Someone please delete all I've said here. What an unfortunate crock.

Sorry.

I seem to have had memories of previous brolly law. Quoting from a Travel thread, ladymuck says;

When I last used an umbrella, I would fill in an expenses sheet with receipts and that would be shown on my payslip as an in and out transaction but they would be pre-tax deduction, post-tax addition (or some such, the terminology escapes me). So, you would effectively not have any extra cash in your pocket but you didn't pay tax on that portion of your day rate.
                  Totally out of date...
                  Last edited by simes; 15 November 2019, 15:54.

Comment

Oh crap!

Someone please delete all I've said here. What an unfortunate crock.

Sorry.
                    While you are at it could you delete the other 574 load of old crock as well please.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      I thought that parking provided by employers isn't a BIK.
                      OP's employer is their umbrella. They aren't providing parking for the OP. OP is paying out of their own pocket to pay at the end client's site. It's not the same thing.

A better analogy would be an employee whose employer does not provide any parking so they have to pay to park in a private car park near their office each day. This would not be a tax-deductible expense either.

Comment

Working...
                      X