• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone comae across a W-8BEN-E IRS form when dealing with a US Company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone comae across a W-8BEN-E IRS form when dealing with a US Company?

I'm (my Ltd Co) is dealing with what I think is the UK Subsidiary of a US Corporation.

They've sent me a W-8BEN-E Form to onboard my Company as a supplier.

This seems to suggest I need an IRS Employer reference which seems weird.

Anyone had any experience of this? Any guidance appreciated.

Ta FF

8BEN site:forums.contractoruk.com - Google Search
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Theres not much at the end of the link. Thanks anyway.

Comment

I've had to fill in one of these and had to get an EIN to do so. You can get an EIN number over the phone, it was pretty painless. The "How to Get an EIN from Outside the U.S." instructions at https://www.ofx.com/en-gb/online-sel...utside-the-us/ match my recollection of the process for getting that.

The form itself is pretty intimidating but most of it can just be left blank. Part 3 "Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits" is the relevant piece of most people doing work for a company in the US. I ticked 14 a/b in that section and most of the left is just left blank.

The company requesting it basically just keeps it on file in case the IRS ask for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pring View Post
          I've had to fill in one of these and had to get an EIN to do so. You can get an EIN number over the phone, it was pretty painless. The "How to Get an EIN from Outside the U.S." instructions at https://www.ofx.com/en-gb/online-sel...utside-the-us/ match my recollection of the process for getting that.

The form itself is pretty intimidating but most of it can just be left blank. Part 3 "Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits" is the relevant piece of most people doing work for a company in the US. I ticked 14 a/b in that section and most of the left is just left blank.

The company requesting it basically just keeps it on file in case the IRS ask for it.
          Thanks, its a pretty confusing set of paperwork.

Comment

Probably not a UK sub, can't imagine why a UK sub would need this. You're probably dealing with the parent company.

Comment

Working...
            X