• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My client will only renew if within IR35 - Advice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My client will only renew if within IR35 - Advice?

Hi,

My client has advised me that the contract will not be renewed past February unless with a contract within IR35. It's disappointing, but the market is dead and I feel cornered: accepting seems the only way to keep getting an income unless I start considering perm roles. With that said, I'll keep an eye out for outside roles.

I don't have many details at the moment, which is why I am writing this.

What are the questions I should ask? What I should I look out for? Would you advise me to get IR35 insurance?

Thank you.

PS: the rate will remain the same
    Last edited by ciaozio; 25 November 2019, 19:52.

You need to confirm the rate and, therefore your take home pay, and decide if you can live on it.

Depending on what you've had out of your company this tax year, you may find you get hammered for employees NI and income tax.

Comment

And then there’s this to consider... https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ould-i-go.html
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

While Cojak won't say it I will.

The other issue to decide is if you continue the same contract inside IR35 will HMRC come calling and suggest that the contract prior to April 2020 was also inside IR35.

And with client saying they feel the contract is inside IR35 what evidence do you have that this statement is accurate? Are they going to change your (statement of) work to ensure there is significant differences between what you do now and what you do in April?

There is a reason why when the changes were implemented in the public sector a lot of people changed contracts (and some agencies changed the child agency that was invoicing)..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          While Cojak won't say it I will.

The other issue to decide is if you continue the same contract inside IR35 will HMRC come calling and suggest that the contract prior to April 2020 was also inside IR35.

And with client saying they feel the contract is inside IR35 what evidence do you have that this statement is accurate? Are they going to change your (statement of) work to ensure there is significant differences between what you do now and what you do in April?

There is a reason why when the changes were implemented in the public sector a lot of people changed contracts (and some agencies changed the child agency that was invoicing)..
          This is something that worries me more than the higher tax bill actually. Those are details I don't know, except it will probably be the same agency to do the invoicing.

This is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by ciaozio View Post
            This is something that worries me more than the higher tax bill actually. Those are details I don't know, except it will probably be the same agency to do the invoicing.

This is hard.
            In which case you want your post April contract and working conditions to be suitably different from your current ones. If the client won't do that I would suggest looking harder.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              In which case you want your post April contract and working conditions to be suitably different from your current ones. If the client won't do that I would suggest looking harder.
              Thanks a lot. I'll definitely check and enquire. It's a silly question, but would closing down the company prevent HMRC from coming after me?

Comment

walk
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by ciaozio View Post
                  Thanks a lot. I'll definitely check and enquire. It's a silly question, but would closing down the company prevent HMRC from coming after me?
                  No it won't.

Comment

Too late for IR35 insurance. Can't buy insurance to cover you after the event.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X