• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Secretary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Secretary

Good Afternoon all!

Thank you for creating this fantastic forum, it has been a huge use to me over the last year for various topics and I very much hope and intend to be able to provide any useful insights over the coming years should I be able.

Apologies if this is a basic question, I have searched and looked at the stickies and do hope it is not clearly covered. I am keen to set up a Company Secretary for my Ltd Company, and have been advised the best route forward by my Accountant who I of course pay a monthly fee for.

My accountant is truly excellent and I appreciate we all need to make our money, he has offered to carry out the setup for £120 + VAT. My question is, what further actions are required than filling out and submitting the AP03 form to Companies House?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...33/AP03_v6.pdf

I am keen to ensure I don't miss anything critical, for example updating the PSC log. But also keen not to spend what I see as a considerable fee if filling out the form is the only step.

Thanks in advance for any insights you are able to provide.

Why do you want a company secretary?

Comment

You don't need one and, if you do, you just log into your company on Companies House and fill in form AP03 yourself, for free and 5 minutes of your time.

Your accountant may be excellent but that's a lot of money for some old rope.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Why do you want a company secretary?
        Might possibly be useful to denominate a shareholder as a company officer for eventual ER eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
          Might possibly be useful to denominate a shareholder as a company officer for eventual ER eligibility.
          Yes, although in the common scenario of said shareholder being a spouse it would, IMO, be more prudent to make them a director for other reasons (easier to take care of matters if something were to happen to OP).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Yes, although in the common scenario of said shareholder being a spouse it would, IMO, be more prudent to make them a director for other reasons (easier to take care of matters if something were to happen to OP).
            Yeah, but then you have the odd agency bitching about you not being a sole Director and refusing to submit your CV to ClientCo...

Comment

Originally posted by LtdKnowledge View Post
              Good Afternoon all!

Thank you for creating this fantastic forum, it has been a huge use to me over the last year for various topics and I very much hope and intend to be able to provide any useful insights over the coming years should I be able.

Apologies if this is a basic question, I have searched and looked at the stickies and do hope it is not clearly covered. I am keen to set up a Company Secretary for my Ltd Company, and have been advised the best route forward by my Accountant who I of course pay a monthly fee for.

My accountant is truly excellent and I appreciate we all need to make our money, he has offered to carry out the setup for £120 + VAT. My question is, what further actions are required than filling out and submitting the AP03 form to Companies House?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...33/AP03_v6.pdf

I am keen to ensure I don't miss anything critical, for example updating the PSC log. But also keen not to spend what I see as a considerable fee if filling out the form is the only step.

Thanks in advance for any insights you are able to provide.
              If you are looking to appoint a Company Secretary, in order to pay them a salary for this (superfluous) role, then I suggest you don't - there is no "work" for the Company Secretary to do. Income shifting
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
              X