• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoice unpaid by agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by castoff101 View Post
    A number have said continue invoicing. However that feels like I am just giving away most of my earnings.
    I'm struggling to follow this?

Issuing an invoice is just the way that you tell the agent that they owe you money. If you don't invoice, you ain't getting paid. If you do invoice, you still may not get paid, but you haven't "given anything away." If you feel there might be some way of getting the client to see you right, they aren't going to refuse because you've invoiced the agent. Indeed they might be asking why you haven't!

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
      I'm struggling to follow this?

Issuing an invoice is just the way that you tell the agent that they owe you money. If you don't invoice, you ain't getting paid. If you do invoice, you still may not get paid, but you haven't "given anything away." If you feel there might be some way of getting the client to see you right, they aren't going to refuse because you've invoiced the agent. Indeed they might be asking why you haven't!
      The timesheet and/or invoice are the evidence the agency uses to bill the client.

If no timesheet or invoice is sent to the agency they cannot bill the client for the work which means the client "could" retain the money and it might be possible for them to find another means of paying you.

Now I'm not sure how all that plays out as every circumstance is different but there is some logic to the plan - there are options that only exist up to the point you invoice the agency.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I see, that does make some sense I guess.

I think I would definitely be having a full and frank conversation with the client before stopping invoicing though. As part of that conversation I would also be asking the client to guarantee that they will pay me directly in the event that the agency does not do so after a certain period of time. I wouldn't be confontational about this - after all it's not the client's fault, and presumably the agency is unrelated to the client - but I'd be making it clear that unless I was convinced I would be paid, I wouldn't be continuing to work. Perhaps giving the client a few days to agree to this in writing would be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
          I see, that does make some sense I guess.

I think I would definitely be having a full and frank conversation with the client before stopping invoicing though. As part of that conversation I would also be asking the client to guarantee that they will pay me directly in the event that the agency does not do so after a certain period of time. I wouldn't be confontational about this - after all it's not the client's fault, and presumably the agency is unrelated to the client - but I'd be making it clear that unless I was convinced I would be paid, I wouldn't be continuing to work. Perhaps giving the client a few days to agree to this in writing would be appropriate.
          this seems sensible.

The problem with not issuing the invoice is that if they go bust, even without a timesheet, the client is still a debtor, but the OP is NOT a creditor. An administrator may well chase the client for the OPs money but give it to other creditors.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            this seems sensible.

The problem with not issuing the invoice is that if they go bust, even without a timesheet, the client is still a debtor, but the OP is NOT a creditor. An administrator may well chase the client for the OPs money but give it to other creditors.
            While that's true, the agency needs a signed timesheet to invoice the customer. Without that the administrator isn't going to get very far.

As an aside I find when agencies are having problems speaking to a director and discussing the impact on who is responsible for debts if trading while insolvent often does wonders in getting your invoice paid.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              While that's true, the agency needs a signed timesheet to invoice the customer. Without that the administrator isn't going to get very far.

As an aside I find when agencies are having problems speaking to a director and discussing the impact of trading while insolvent often does wonders in getting your invoice paid.
              Depends on the agency/client contract. Which none of us know.

And if the client and contractor are withholding a timesheet, it's not going to hold much water once an administrator is looking to claw back all money.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                this seems sensible.

Almost

The administrator will claw back as much as they can from creditors and pay itself 95% in fees then give the remains 5% to other creditors

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Thank you all your replies.

As an update I emailed the agents copying in my manager.

The October account from the agent has not been paid by the client as yet. This account is now frozen until I receive a payment from the agents. Going direct has also been discussed with the client.

I have also had an email from the agency saying payment will be made in the next day or so.

So I feel a bit more confident now in getting a payment in the near future [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Sounds promising - good luck!

Comment

Keep applying pressure and definitely try and work direct with the client.

This agency isn't going to be around for much longer.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X