• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bookkeeping and Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bookkeeping and Accountants

My intention is the use FreeAgent alongside a Starling bank account with the help of Gorilla Accountancy. Gorilla are local and they're offering a free face to face consultation. I've read good things about them on this forum. The other company that caught my eye was Bluebird Accountacy who offered me a cheaper package (75pm vs 89pm plus VAT) with free set up. However, I can't find much information about them on this forum other than the fact they are part of Churchill Knight.

I've had a number of patronising phone calls from the big Umbrella company's about their Ltd company services. One company that charges £150 plus VAT told my yesterday that it's a big mistake to use FreeAgent rather than their custom built software because as a new contractor I won't know what I'm doing with the bookkeeping (they genuinely said "no offence or anything").

Is there really that much to bookkeeping? What exactly do I need to do other than invoicing for time and processing expenses? How much more work is it than using a company expense claim and time-sheet system such as SAP or MDAX? Perhaps that's not a good comparison.
    Last edited by mb31; 29 November 2019, 19:27. Reason: Correction by jdt

10 mins a week tops. Fire and forget.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      This. It is of course easy to muck up bookkeeping, but that's (part of) why you have an accountant to periodically check in.

FreeAgent's the market leader for contractors/freelancers. One beauty of it is it's not custom built by one accountancy firm. Therefore if you get fed up with your accountant, you can swap to another accountancy firm, porting all your data with you.

Comment

The other company that caught my eye was Bluebird Accountacy who offered me a cheaper package (75pm vs 89pm plus VAT) with free set up. However, I can't find much information about them on this forum other than the fact they are part of Brooksons.
        Bluebird are run by Churchill Knight, not Brooksons
        Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else.

Comment

Thanks Maslins, it does annoy me that some of these companies try to do the hard sell. I guess that's because they catch a lot of newbies who are in a rush to get setup for their first contract and are enticed by the idea that they can put their feet up while someone else run the whole shebang.

I prefer to talk to a proper accountant when I make initial enquiries because they are straight talking like your post.

jdt yes, you're right about CK and I'm going to blame the search function. There's a forum member called Bluebird and the search chucks up a load of his posts instead of anything related to the accountancy. I'm not sure if Bluebird being owned by the big boys makes any difference.
          Last edited by mb31; 29 November 2019, 20:27. Reason: It's a secret

Comment

At the end of the day, every single person who runs a company didn't at some point. Every contractor was new once.

It takes care, you have to take it seriously, and it's an important legal duty to keep your affairs in order - but, look, it ain't rocket science. I certainly wouldn't allow it to be a reason to do things differently.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Which is a blessing.

Comment

Xero is very good as well. Used it all my contracting career.

Comment

Working...
                X