• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Javid proposed IR35 review on R4 Money Box

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauke on DTA 2008
    -----------------
    The retrospective nature of the clause is deeply troubling. It is troubling when the Government state that the law in the past is something because that is what they say it is now. This is partly an issue of simple democracy. It raises issues about EU law and legitimate expectations. It cuts to the question of the certainty and stability of the UK tax system. For investors, the idea that UK tax law is likely to be changed retrospectively is unattractive, and the UK is, for various reasons, acquiring a reputation for having an uncertain and unstable tax system, which is bad for the UK economy.

Gauke on DTA 2012
    -----------------
    UK residents are taxable on their worldwide income wherever it arises—including situations where it arises by way of foreign partnerships. Section 58 of Finance Act 2008 was enacted to help put that beyond doubt and in so doing, made clear that a wholly artificial tax avoidance scheme involving a foreign partnership comprised of foreign trustees did not work. As section 58 retrospectively clarified existing legislation, its introduction had no affect on any taxpayers' tax position.

Whoever you vote for, the government always gets in.

Comment

Saj on Twitter

Sajid Javid just tweeted this:

"We’re committed to helping the self-employed, that’s why we’re going to review what more we can do. As I told @paullewismoney
      , our review *will* include planned reforms of IR35. We are the party of workers - whether employed or self-employed."

Sajid Javid on Twitter: "We’re committed to helping the self-employed, that’s why we’re going to review what more we can do. As I told @paullewismoney, our review *will* include planned reforms of IR35. We are the party of workers - whether employed or self-employed.

https://t.co/W5HBOeuK6e"

"Party of workers" my arse!
      Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by jdt View Post

"We’re committed to helping the self-employed, that’s why we’re going to review what more we can do. As I told @paullewismoney
        , our review *will* include planned reforms of IR35. We are the party of workers - whether employed or self-employed."

Sajid Javid on Twitter: "We’re committed to helping the self-employed, that’s why we’re going to review what more we can do. As I told @paullewismoney, our review *will* include planned reforms of IR35. We are the party of workers - whether employed or self-employed.

and as per usual, any attempt at debate around IR35 becomes drowned by loan charge sob stories. Whilst the loan charge is very sad indeed it has little to do with IR35, and even less to do with running a business.

They certainly aren't the party of workers, but neither are they the party of small business.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

They have been in power for 10 years. Its not like they are in opposition and unable to affect things.

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
            They have been in power for 10 years. Its not like they are in opposition and unable to affect things.
            And for ten years they have been fed statistics from HMRC and HMT that prove we underpay our taxes and are costing the country about £2.4 billion a year.

The fact we have been shown to earn the country considerably more, which will vanish under they shiny new regime, has been overlooked or, as we say out here, totally ignored.

Of course they can affect all sorts of things. First they have to be educated as to what actually needs affecting. HMT aren't telling them the same things as we are.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

PCG

What happened to the PCG, they did a court case years ago (judicial review) to fight IR35??
              Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else.

Comment

What happened to the PCG, they did a court case years ago (judicial review) to fight IR35??
                they're called IPSE now. Have been for 5/6/7 years or so.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It got took over

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    and as per usual, any attempt at debate around IR35 becomes drowned by loan charge sob stories. Whilst the loan charge is very sad indeed it has little to do with IR35, and even less to do with running a business.

They certainly aren't the party of workers, but neither are they the party of small business.
                    Lots of people signed up to these loan schemes because they were sold as a means to still get the same sort of returns you would out of a ltd company but without the IR35 risk. So I'd say that the loan charges do have a lot to do with IR35
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                      Lots of people signed up to these loan schemes because they were sold as a means to still get the same sort of returns you would out of a ltd company but without the IR35 risk. So I'd say that the loan charges do have a lot to do with IR35
                      Only in the minds of the people who fell for the scam.

It's like me saying that I'm more at risk of dying in a house fire because I'd rather work from home due to being scared of dying in a motorway crash. House fires and car safety are unrelated things. In my mind they are related, but that's my problem.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X