• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living in France. Contracting for UK company.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in France. Contracting for UK company.

Hello everyone,

Newbie here (to this forum and contracting in general) so please be gentle.

I semi-retired to France earlier this year and am currently going through the residency process. I now pay taxes etc here.

An opportunity has arisen to do some contract work for a UK based company. The majority of the work will be remote i.e. I'll be able to do >75% from here in France. I expect the contract will be 2-3 days a week for 6-9 months.

I have a few questions:

1. Should I set up a UK ltd company? Or a French based enterprise? Or should I bill them as an individual?
    2. Is there anyone in this community who has done something similar with whom I can compare notes?
    3. What are the potential 'gotchas' (Brexit aside)?

Cheers,
    Mark

The percentage of remote work is key, otherwise tax may well be due in both countries - though dual taxation agreements will mean you can offset tax paid in one country against the other.

If you can limit the UK work, then set up in accordance with France. Depending on turnover, you may need to charge the client VAT.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Marko999 View Post
      Hello everyone,

Newbie here (to this forum and contracting in general) so please be gentle.

I semi-retired to France earlier this year and am currently going through the residency process. I now pay taxes etc here.

An opportunity has arisen to do some contract work for a UK based company. The majority of the work will be remote i.e. I'll be able to do >75% from here in France. I expect the contract will be 2-3 days a week for 6-9 months.

I have a few questions:

1. Should I set up a UK ltd company? Or a French based enterprise? Or should I bill them as an individual?
      2. Is there anyone in this community who has done something similar with whom I can compare notes?
      3. What are the potential 'gotchas' (Brexit aside)?

Cheers,
      Mark
      As an aside, whereabouts in France are you? My wife and I have been quite seriously plotting something similar.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        As an aside, whereabouts in France are you? My wife and I have been quite seriously plotting something similar.
        Thanks for the response.

I'm in South West France in the countryside between Toulouse and Bordeaux. If you want some pointers, let me know. Happy to help.

Comment

I have a small town house in Bagneres de Bigorre for sale if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
            I have a small town house in Bagneres de Bigorre for sale if interested.
            Thanks but we want to be nearer the coast.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
            X