Living in France. Contracting for UK company. Living in France. Contracting for UK company.
Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Nervous Newbie

Default Living in France. Contracting for UK company.

Hello everyone,

Newbie here (to this forum and contracting in general) so please be gentle.

I semi-retired to France earlier this year and am currently going through the residency process. I now pay taxes etc here.

An opportunity has arisen to do some contract work for a UK based company. The majority of the work will be remote i.e. I'll be able to do >75% from here in France. I expect the contract will be 2-3 days a week for 6-9 months.

I have a few questions:

1. Should I set up a UK ltd company? Or a French based enterprise? Or should I bill them as an individual?
    2. Is there anyone in this community who has done something similar with whom I can compare notes?
    3. What are the potential 'gotchas' (Brexit aside)?

Cheers,
    Mark

Respect my authoritah!

The percentage of remote work is key, otherwise tax may well be due in both countries - though dual taxation agreements will mean you can offset tax paid in one country against the other.

If you can limit the UK work, then set up in accordance with France. Depending on turnover, you may need to charge the client VAT.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by Marko999 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Newbie here (to this forum and contracting in general) so please be gentle.

I semi-retired to France earlier this year and am currently going through the residency process. I now pay taxes etc here.

An opportunity has arisen to do some contract work for a UK based company. The majority of the work will be remote i.e. I'll be able to do >75% from here in France. I expect the contract will be 2-3 days a week for 6-9 months.

I have a few questions:

1. Should I set up a UK ltd company? Or a French based enterprise? Or should I bill them as an individual?
    2. Is there anyone in this community who has done something similar with whom I can compare notes?
    3. What are the potential 'gotchas' (Brexit aside)?

Cheers,
    Mark
    As an aside, whereabouts in France are you? My wife and I have been quite seriously plotting something similar.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Lockhouse View Post
    As an aside, whereabouts in France are you? My wife and I have been quite seriously plotting something similar.
    Thanks for the response.

I'm in South West France in the countryside between Toulouse and Bordeaux. If you want some pointers, let me know. Happy to help.

More time posting than coding

I have a small town house in Bagneres de Bigorre for sale if interested.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by fidot View Post
    I have a small town house in Bagneres de Bigorre for sale if interested.
    Thanks but we want to be nearer the coast.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...