• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period pay clarification

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period pay clarification

Hi All, some help needed.

My current contract is being terminated which I was aware of, agency is giving me notice. The wording is as per below. Does that mean that they want me to work three weeks unpaid ? Is that even possible ?

"In accordance with the terms of the Contract, ###Limited is entitled to 3 weeks notice of termination (clause 11.1). ###Agency require ###Limited to continue to provide services, with the last working day of services being 30th December 2019. ###Limited will be paid for services provided up to and including today, in accordance with the terms of the Contract."

(clause 11.1)
    11. Termination
    11.1. The Employment Business or the Client may terminate the Assignment and this Agreement at any time without prior notice or liability, unless otherwise stated in the Assignment Schedule.

Thank you.

Originally posted by amrhady View Post
    Hi All, some help needed.

My current contract is being terminated which I was aware of, agency is giving me notice. The wording is as per below. Does that mean that they want me to work three weeks unpaid ? Is that even possible ?

"In accordance with the terms of the Contract, ###Limited is entitled to 3 weeks notice of termination (clause 11.1). ###Agency require ###Limited to continue to provide services, with the last working day of services being 30th December 2019. ###Limited will be paid for services provided up to and including today, in accordance with the terms of the Contract."

(clause 11.1)
    11. Termination
    11.1. The Employment Business or the Client may terminate the Assignment and this Agreement at any time without prior notice or liability, unless otherwise stated in the Assignment Schedule.

Thank you.
    Sounds like an error. Email back clarifying that they mean up to and including the last working day of services being 30th December 2019, rather than today. Will be sorted out by lunchtime.

Comment

No, it's saying your contract will stop in three weeks time but you aren't being paid for anything done after today. In other words, we're honouring the contract by giving you notice but you don't get paid for work since you won't be given any.

I should get them to clarify if that is what they mean, in which case simply ignore them and go look for new work.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thank you for replying. They did include this line in the email they sent me "we will be issuing you with your three weeks’ notice which you will be required to work."

So they are in fact asking me to work for those three weeks.

Obviously I will clarify it today, but my confusion is whether they can legally ask me to work for those weeks, but still not pay me for it.

My contract is actually only running to the 30th of December anyways, which is the same date they gave on the notice. So I am questioning why they needed to send me this notice of termination in the first place, and if there's more to it.

Comment

Thank you for replying. They did include this line in the email they sent me "we will be issuing you with your three weeks’ notice which you will be required to work."

Obviously I will clarify it today, but my confusion is whether they can legally ask me to work for those weeks, but still not pay me for it.

My contract is actually only running to the 30th of December anyways, which is the same date they gave on the notice. So I am questioning why they needed to send me this notice of termination in the first place, and if there's more to it.
          Of course they aren't expecting you to work without pay. Are you nuts?

Comment

Because they're talking bollocks? If I'm right, and your contract is finishing anyway, what they are struggling to say is that you're out of work now, but we gave you this idiot notice clause so we're going to try and adhere to it,

Like most agencies, they have no real idea what they are doing beyond shipping bodies to clients in exchange for money. And, of course, by keeping your contract alive, even though you aren't getting paid, may mean that under their contract with the client they still get three weeks commission and your agent meets his target for the year.

If you're not being paid, then go home and leave them to it.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
            X