• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entrepreneurs' relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@hlds impossible for anyone to give you a cast iron answer re that. Would the "on the side" work you did going forwards be significantly different to the contracting work you'd done before? Purely the fact that it would be evenings/weekends going forward, rather than Mon-Fri 9-5, likely wouldn't be considered sufficient reasoning.

Having said that, I think it'd be far lower risk than if you were to restart contracting (via a Ltd Co) full time.

Comment

@Maslins thanks for your reply. I don't foresee it being massively different - let's say I'm working on embedded software "9-5" in a contract role, then just do websites in the new LTD.

Would my wife being the director and only shareholder of the new company make any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by hlds View Post
        @Maslins thanks for your reply. I don't foresee it being massively different - let's say I'm working on embedded software "9-5" in a contract role, then just do websites in the new LTD.

Would my wife being the director and only shareholder of the new company make any difference?
        Your latter suggestion might superficially fool some who don't look at all carefully...but if it was looked into, to my mind doing so without good commercial reason would hurt your case. In my eyes it would be a demonstration of you trying to hide/dodge the rules, so perhaps demonstrates you know you fall foul of the rules.

Comment

Also a hijack, but with regard to claiming ER and working in a similar trade within 2 years of ltd company liquidation, does working through an umbrella in a similar capacity fall afoul of this or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
            Also a hijack, but with regard to claiming ER and working in a similar trade within 2 years of ltd company liquidation, does working through an umbrella in a similar capacity fall afoul of this or not?
            We aren't 100% certain but for me you are now employed so no. The idea is that you'd don't shut down, claim tax relief and then just start again. The tax relief is a sham. Closing down because you are becoming employed is a legitimate reason.

The elephant in the room, which think many people are missing, is what happens if you take an inside gig and 3 months later it ends and you want to take another outside one. I went inside but ended up only doing 6 weeks. I had intention.of shutting then Ltd so no issues.

I think some people are being very short sighted and closing the company just because they've secured an inside gig, not a forever job. I do think closing, going brolly for 6 months and then attempting to open another company is slam dunk falling foul and I suspect is going to trip a lot of people up.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X