• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD are doing my nut!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD are doing my nut!

Been using them for about 12 years, but this year has been woeful. Late on vat, constant emails chasing me for stuff I've done months ago, and now left me with a fine. Had enough.

Haven't really been looking on here for quite a while but what's the current favourite?

J

Have a look at the accountant recommendations thread at the top of this part of the forum would be a good start.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

gorilla

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
        Been using them for about 12 years, but this year has been woeful. Late on vat, constant emails chasing me for stuff I've done months ago, and now left me with a fine. Had enough.

Haven't really been looking on here for quite a while but what's the current favourite?

J
        If you were happy with SJD originally try Dolan Accountancy - it is the same team that originally set up SJD. I have had good service. They also use free agent.

Comment

J
          Same for me. They have been terrible over the last year and made a couple of ridiculously stupid mistakes. To be fair, they can be good - I once had a complicated dispute with HMRC and ended up with a fine (all down to HMRC's mistake.)

SJD appealed on my behalf and the fine was made null and void (although HMRC didn't admit in writing that they made an error.)

I'm only waiting to get my last year's accounts filed and self assessment finalised in Jan before looking for a new accountant.

Comment

I’ve used them from the start.

My current accountant is fantastic. They have tried to palm me off a few times with others, and they usually last a day or two before I threaten to leave.

Like every company, some good accountants and some tulip.

What they have started to do lately is farm out some of the work to dedicated departments, such as tax and VAT. Probably why errors are happening.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
              I’ve used them from the start.

My current accountant is fantastic. They have tried to palm me off a few times with others, and they usually last a day or two before I threaten to leave.

Like every company, some good accountants and some tulip.

What they have started to do lately is farm out some of the work to dedicated departments, such as tax and VAT. Probably why errors are happening.
              You don't pay someone £1200 a year to make errors or to divide up your patronage across unqualified minions.

I left a few years back after 15 years of excellent service that suddenly deteriorated into chaos following a reorganisation and takeover. I couldn't keep my excellent accountant since they had closed the whole office down - without telling me - and moved my work to London "for my convenience": interesting idea since I'm 120 miles away.

Stop wasting your money, spend it on someone who will the job properly.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                You don't pay someone £1200 a year to make errors or to divide up your patronage across unqualified minions.

I left a few years back after 15 years of excellent service that suddenly deteriorated into chaos following a reorganisation and takeover. I couldn't keep my excellent accountant since they had closed the whole office down - without telling me - and moved my work to London "for my convenience": interesting idea since I'm 120 miles away.

Stop wasting your money, spend it on someone who will the job properly.
                Yep your right of course. They are way more than £1200 a year as well.

With this IR35 Business, who knows whether I’ll even have a company soon. I’m tempted to close mine down anyway and start another in April or go umbrella if need be.

If so, I won’t go back to SJD.

Comment

Been impressed with Maslins to date.

Whoever you choose, check that they're legit before you join them.
                  I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

I left SJD for Intouch a few years ago. Happy with it. £126/month.

Comment

Working...
                    X