• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SIPP backdating the use of £40K pension relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIPP backdating the use of £40K pension relief

I am about to wrap up my Ltd and looking at shut down options. Am I correct that I can pay more than £40K into my SIPP if I have unused allowance from the last 3 years ? Is there any drawback to doing this that I am missing ? ( other than the money is tied up in the pension pot )

if you had an active pension for the last three years, then yes.
    if not, no.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      if you had an active pension for the last three years, then yes.
      if not, no.
      Yes I've got a many years active SIPP but haven't got enough of this years £40K left to put what is left in my Ltd into it. Just doing fag packet calculations while drinking wine and plotting my retirement. I'll be double checking on Monday !

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        Yes I've got a many years active SIPP but haven't got enough of this years £40K left to put what is left in my Ltd into it. Just doing fag packet calculations while drinking wine and plotting my retirement. I'll be double checking on Monday !
        happy days

Comment

Yes you can

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          I am about to wrap up my Ltd and looking at shut down options. Am I correct that I can pay more than £40K into my SIPP if I have unused allowance from the last 3 years ? Is there any drawback to doing this that I am missing ? ( other than the money is tied up in the pension pot )
          Yep you can do that. I myself have literally this week used carryback to pay more into my pension.
          Just be aware you have done your calcs, otherwise you will be taxed. The amount is based upon tax year not your company year.
          Although as correctly you have stated the money is tied up - major benefits are further reductions in CT.
          If you can afford it, it's worth it.

Few years ago, wasn't earning enough to put into the pension pot, so allowance remained. Now on a good contract have used the full £40K allowance for this tax year and now using the carry back.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
          X