• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dormant company expences

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I inquired about this with my accountant I was told there are 2 options:

1) Ceasing trading activities

If you choose to move to a non-trading company, you will need to cancel or transfer any regular payments that are scheduled from your business bank account, for example monthly phone or broadband subscriptions. No further payments should be made from your business account with the exception of:

bank interest and charges
    payment of our services
    fee payments to Companies House, filing fees
    tax payments to HMRC
    dividends to shareholders (subject to available profits)
    We would also work with you to deregister your company for VAT and close your PAYE scheme where applicable.

Whilst your company is in a non-trading state, your obligations to HMRC and Companies House remain the same:

Year end accounts and a corporation tax return must be filed
    A confirmation statement must be submitted to Companies House each year
    Any directors will still need to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return
    We would continue to work with you to help you meet these obligations.

Our continued service to you

Our non-trading service is 1/4 of the normal monthly fee

Deregistering your company for VAT and Payroll at HMRC
    Continued access to our online software to maintain your bookkeeping records
    Preparation and filing of year end accounts and Corporation Tax Return
    Continued support with our software and questions relating to recommencement of trade
    We would still be able to provide you with support with other matters e.g. reference letters, advice on accounting or tax etc however, we may need to provide you with a separate quote before we undertake any work.

2) Making your company dormant

If non trading is not the right option for you, you can change your company's status to dormant at Companies House. If you were to proceed with this option, we would be able to deregister your company for VAT and PAYE at HMRC for a one off fee.

However, if you were to choose this option we would be unable to support you after your company had been made dormant. This is because a part of this process is closing your company's Business Bank Account, which would mean you were unable to pay our fees.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
      When I inquired about this with my accountant I was told there are 2 options:

1) Ceasing trading activities

If you choose to move to a non-trading company, you will need to cancel or transfer any regular payments that are scheduled from your business bank account, for example monthly phone or broadband subscriptions. No further payments should be made from your business account with the exception of:

bank interest and charges
      payment of our services
      fee payments to Companies House, filing fees
      tax payments to HMRC
      dividends to shareholders (subject to available profits)
      We would also work with you to deregister your company for VAT and close your PAYE scheme where applicable.

Whilst your company is in a non-trading state, your obligations to HMRC and Companies House remain the same:

Year end accounts and a corporation tax return must be filed
      A confirmation statement must be submitted to Companies House each year
      Any directors will still need to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return
      We would continue to work with you to help you meet these obligations.

Our continued service to you

Our non-trading service is 1/4 of the normal monthly fee

Deregistering your company for VAT and Payroll at HMRC
      Continued access to our online software to maintain your bookkeeping records
      Preparation and filing of year end accounts and Corporation Tax Return
      Continued support with our software and questions relating to recommencement of trade
      We would still be able to provide you with support with other matters e.g. reference letters, advice on accounting or tax etc however, we may need to provide you with a separate quote before we undertake any work.

2) Making your company dormant

If non trading is not the right option for you, you can change your company's status to dormant at Companies House. If you were to proceed with this option, we would be able to deregister your company for VAT and PAYE at HMRC for a one off fee.

However, if you were to choose this option we would be unable to support you after your company had been made dormant. This is because a part of this process is closing your company's Business Bank Account, which would mean you were unable to pay our fees.
      Interesting how your accountant appears to be saying you can't claim business mobile (even though this is a common overhead that will help you get a new contract) but are happy for you to continue to claim their accountancy fees! Seems a bit inconsistent. I would double check if this is correct.

This can be the problem with emails. Sometimes you just get a template reply that hasn't been tailored to your situation or updated for any corrections.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

@MonkeysUncle - have to admit those two options seem negligibly different to me. Sounds like just for (1) the accountant will still do annual submissions for a very modest fee (more regular submissions not required due to de-registration for VAT/PAYE), and for (2) they're saying there's so little to do they'd just leave you to it completely (no fee). You'd still need to file annual accounts and confirmation statement for the latter, but I totally accept they wouldn't be hard to DIY when no trading. Still, it's an ongoing obligation for you, with potentially hefty fines if accounts are late.

Both those options are effectively "in between" the two options I mentioned. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with what they've said, I just feel that if you're going to go through the hassle to get to the stage in either of your accountant's suggestions, you may as well go the little further step to close the company too...or on the flip side, if you think you would want to pick up invoicing in the near future at short notice, don't do the PAYE/VAT de-registrations.

Comment

I made a Ltd dormant purely in case the brand (name of the Ltd) was something I wanted to use in future as it had been a plan B that failed.

I also had another Ltd I was using just for contracting that I decided to close when going umbrella, as keeping it dormant offered no advantage as I had de-reg VAT, removed myself from PAYE, closed bank account, so creating a new Ltd for any future contracts would be pretty much the same amount of work, and I wasn't emotionally invested in the company name so drawing a line under it for IR35 and any future tax investigation purposes sealed the decision.

For the dormant company I paid my accountant to do the annual filings but as the company bank account was closed I paid with personal money. They only charged £100 for the annual accounts instead of the usual £500 for an active Ltd.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
            @MonkeysUncle - have to admit those two options seem negligibly different to me. Sounds like just for (1) the accountant will still do annual submissions for a very modest fee (more regular submissions not required due to de-registration for VAT/PAYE), and for (2) they're saying there's so little to do they'd just leave you to it completely (no fee). You'd still need to file annual accounts and confirmation statement for the latter, but I totally accept they wouldn't be hard to DIY when no trading. Still, it's an ongoing obligation for you, with potentially hefty fines if accounts are late.

Both those options are effectively "in between" the two options I mentioned. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with what they've said, I just feel that if you're going to go through the hassle to get to the stage in either of your accountant's suggestions, you may as well go the little further step to close the company too...or on the flip side, if you think you would want to pick up invoicing in the near future at short notice, don't do the PAYE/VAT de-registrations.
            Thats interesting. I was under the impression from my accountant that if the company is dormant I wouldn't need to file annual accounts or the sort.

@Maslins Thank you for this. I will definitely go back to them about this (I am not looking to close it down but good to know for the future).

Comment

Thats interesting. I was under the impression from my accountant that if the company is dormant I wouldn't need to file annual accounts or the sort.

@Maslins Thank you for this. I will definitely go back to them about this (I am not looking to close it down but good to know for the future).
              if you close it down (it doesn't cost £2k by the way) you can save yourself a load of money by sacking SJD and getting a better accountant as well.
              Note that you've just received some very good advice from a professional accountant, for free. So why stick with SJD?
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                if you close it down (it doesn't cost £2k by the way) you can save yourself a load of money by sacking SJD and getting a better accountant as well.
                Note that you've just received some very good advice from a professional accountant, for free. So why stick with SJD?
                I am not with SJD

To be honest, I have always received a very good service from my accountant, barring this one bit of misinformation.
                But then this where this forum have been a great help, to sanity check this kind of information.

One mistake is not enough for me to just sack them off.

Comment

I am not with SJD

To be honest, I have always received a very good service from my accountant, barring this one bit of misinformation.
                  But then this where this forum have been a great help, to sanity check this kind of information.

One mistake is not enough for me to just sack them off.
                  sorry. Must have imagined that.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Just because of extra hassle and delays involved rather than getting done what I need to do in first place with the company

The price with them depends on the reserves you have 450(closure, <£25k) or 2000(liquidation, >£25k) + plus accountancy fees till the end of the company year
                    As I gather on this forum https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ancy-fees.html (old post, but probably still indicative) some people are charged as much as 8000 and 2-3000 is considered to be ok...
                    Last edited by Goggy; 20 December 2019, 15:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
                      Just because of extra hassle and delays involved rather than getting done what I need to do in first place with the company

The price with them depends on the reserves you have 450(closure, <£25k) or 2000(liquidation, >£25k) + plus accountancy fees till the end of the company year
                      As I gather on this forum https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ancy-fees.html (old post, but probably still indicative) some people are charged as much as 8000 and 2-3000 is considered to be ok...
                      yeah but I'm assuming that there isn't >£25k in the company if dormancy is being considered.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X