• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unlawfull admin fee charge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why bother replying at all.

As with other fees that are not mentioned in the contract it's a matter of waiting for the small claims court claim to appear (it won't).
    It won't but the next invoice might also not get paid. If I was the agency and feeling petty that's what I'd do. And receiving legal sounding letters by registered post would make me feel petty.

You're right that without a clause allowing for admin charges in the contract, then it's unlikely to actually be enforced in a court, but legal facts don't always determine behaviours. If they did then we woudn't need courts.
    Also the OP offering half the money will be seen in court as an attempt to settle.

OP needs to decide if the hassle is worth it, vs continuing relationship.
    Like it or not it was a mistake that had a cost impact on the agency.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      It won't but the next invoice might also not get paid. If I was the agency and feeling petty that's what I'd do. And receiving legal sounding letters by registered post would make me feel petty.

You're right that without a clause allowing for admin charges in the contract, then it's unlikely to actually be enforced in a court, but legal facts don't always determine behaviours. If they did then we woudn't need courts.
      Also the OP offering half the money will be seen in court as an attempt to settle.

OP needs to decide if the hassle is worth it, vs continuing relationship.
      Like it or not it was a mistake that had a cost impact on the agency.
      See the original post. It's from a previous agency - there is no current relationship except for them asking for money and they are only asking for money because there is no invoice they can deduct the money from.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

What we don't know:
        1. How much extra he had charged the agency
        2. How long it took for the agency to notice the mistake
        3. How long he had the money in his account
        4. How much the agent were charging as an admin fee
        5. How long it took for him to repay

And finally:
        6. Exactly how he worded his responses to them.
        If his "legal" letter included describing their admin charge as illegal or unlawful, then fun times are ahead. There's nothing illegal or unlawful about charging admin fees. It might not be in the contract, but that doesn't make it illegal.

And, I guess they could argue that it was a deliberate attempt to defraud them by submitting a false claim, which is a bit more unlawful than charging a fee.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          What we don't know:
          1. How much extra he had charged the agency
          2. How long it took for the agency to notice the mistake
          3. How long he had the money in his account
          4. How much the agent were charging as an admin fee
          5. How long it took for him to repay

And finally:
          6. Exactly how he worded his responses to them.
          If his "legal" letter included describing their admin charge as illegal or unlawful, then fun times are ahead. There's nothing illegal or unlawful about charging admin fees. It might not be in the contract, but that doesn't make it illegal.

And, I guess they could argue that it was a deliberate attempt to defraud them by submitting a false claim, which is a bit more unlawful than charging a fee.
          1. £5.73
          2. not sure, few weeks maybe.
          3. as above.
          4.£15.
          5. Couple of weeks.
          6. None of my responses to them have said that they have done anything illegal.

I think its fairly obvious due to the amount, that I wasn't trying to deliberately defraud anyone. I could pay the admin fee and get rid of the hassle, but its the principle that they are trying to bully me into paying something I don't need to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by cooperphillip View Post
            1. £5.73
            3. as above.
            4.£15.
            5. Couple of weeks.

I think its fairly obvious due to the amount, that I wasn't trying to deliberately defraud anyone. I could pay the admin fee and get rid of the hassle, but its the principle that they are trying to bully me into paying something I don't need to pay.
            Jesus’s wept I thought we were talking millions

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

1. £5.73
              3. as above.
              4.£15.
              5. Couple of weeks.

So, you held on to the money for "a few weeks" plus "a couple of weeks"... sounds like you're not wanting to tell us how many months it actually was. But hey ho, it's a big legal fight over £15.

To make sure you're in the right, I suggest speaking to a lawyer. They charge £200-400 per hour.

Comment

1. £5.73
                3. as above.
                4.£15.
                5. Couple of weeks.
                7. Dragging the issue out to 4 pages on a contracting forum - priceless.

FTFY.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  FTFY.

Good job I get paid to read these.

Comment

1. £5.73
                    Do what you should have done back on page 1. Ignore them. They won't take it to court, they won't get a debt collecting agency in. They're just being daft.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Good job I get paid to read these.
                    You consider that pay? INKSPE.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

£15? I've had more profitable poops.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X