• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions re-enrolment for director/secretary ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pensions re-enrolment for director/secretary ltd

Received an email from Pensions Regulator about a mandatory pensions re-enrollment due on 1 Jan, but my accountant is away until the 5th.

A couple of years ago we had to go through this process for my partner who is a company secretary and earns around £12k. Accountant charged us around £200-£300 for enrolling and then she opted out as we were not convinced we wanted to contribute to pension fund yet.

The question is how to avoid/made this process simpler so we don't have to go through this every couple of years at a cost and hassle of opting out. What other people with a similar company structure do ?

I see the following options:
    1) Make my partner a director - will lose £3000 Employment Allowance
    2) Reduce her salary to 10k - will lose on the maximum amount of dividends before threshold (not 50/50 split)
    3) Enroll for NEST/opt out ourselves - is it even possible without an agent ?
    4) Organise some sort of SIPP pension - haven't done much research on this, not ready to commit yet.

Thanks

You have no worries about being inside IR35 in the near future ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      You have no worries about being inside IR35 in the near future ?
      Generally not, but will see when we get there.
      That's another reason to avoid setting this all up 3 months before situation may change.

Comment

Working...
      X