• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QDOS insurances - still relevant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QDOS insurances - still relevant?

I'm wondering what the value of QDOS insurance is from 2020? From a market point of view, I see far more, not less, movement towards inside IR35 working (whether by end client 'policy' changes or inside assessments). In which case the TLC35 element of QDOS' insurance may become irrelevant? QDOS say it's there to cover the previous 6 years and if I don't renew, then I forego that cover. In my particular situation however, I've only been contracting since Jan 2017, 3 contracts being 9-12 months max length, all with different clients. So I am assuming HMRC wouldn't see much gain in going for me?

On the PI/EL/PL side, again, will these insurances be valid in an inside-assessed engagement? I don't have any info on this, but I am assuming the client would acknowledge that there is SDC over my work because I would be inside. And therefore that any alleged E&O on my part would effectively have to be accepted/absorbed by the end client, rather than through my insurances.

So my options so far: 1. Renew everything, 2. Renew just TLC35 (just in case), 3. Don't renew at all

Any thoughts? I have no fixed view on this, just want to explore what everyone else is thinking.

Cheers,
    Swamp.

PS QDOS wouldn't comment to me about future state of market, just repeating that I should renew for the sake of previous 6 years
    "My God, it's huge!!"

One reason for renewal would be if you intend/expect to work for clients classed as small businesses, as they are exempt from IR35 changes.

Comment

James Brown - that's the thing, I don't expect any new contracts to come up with small businesses. I've always provided services to large clients, and the probability now of picking up contacts with small businesses looks extremely low to me.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
      "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing View Post
        I'm wondering what the value of QDOS insurance is from 2020? From a market point of view, I see far more, not less, movement towards inside IR35 working (whether by end client 'policy' changes or inside assessments). In which case the TLC35 element of QDOS' insurance may become irrelevant? QDOS say it's there to cover the previous 6 years and if I don't renew, then I forego that cover. In my particular situation however, I've only been contracting since Jan 2017, 3 contracts being 9-12 months max length, all with different clients. So I am assuming HMRC wouldn't see much gain in going for me?

On the PI/EL/PL side, again, will these insurances be valid in an inside-assessed engagement? I don't have any info on this, but I am assuming the client would acknowledge that there is SDC over my work because I would be inside. And therefore that any alleged E&O on my part would effectively have to be accepted/absorbed by the end client, rather than through my insurances.

So my options so far: 1. Renew everything, 2. Renew just TLC35 (just in case), 3. Don't renew at all

Any thoughts? I have no fixed view on this, just want to explore what everyone else is thinking.

Cheers,
        Swamp.

PS QDOS wouldn't comment to me about future state of market, just repeating that I should renew for the sake of previous 6 years
        If you’re going inside then you’ll be closing the company right?
        No insurance is needed, or available for sale, for a closed company.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing View Post
          I'm wondering what the value of QDOS insurance is from 2020?
          I think the likes of QDOS and IPSE are probably quite worried about this. I suspect the vast majority of their customers joined them for the insurance, as opposed to any sense of "belonging to the association," so they see an existential threat now that insurance isn't really needed any more. The "cover for previous years" story can only last so long.

Personally, I'll probably keep my IPSE membership going for another year while both the market and my position in it work themselves out. But if things end up as most people seem to think they will - all of us on payroll - insurance won't be necessary and I'll cancel it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            If you’re going inside then you’ll be closing the company right?
            No insurance is needed, or available for sale, for a closed company.
            Well, do I close the company? I wouldn't rule out some outside opportunities in 2020 (although I appreciate they may be unicorns) so I would want to keep my PSC going for those. I would go brolly for inside work in the meantime - so I'm ending up with a hybrid arrangement I guess.

I'm just unclear where QDOS renewal sits in a hybrid setup, especially given that my next assignment is likely to be inside (probably for 12 mths).

Any further thoughts?
            "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by soitgoes View Post
              I think the likes of QDOS and IPSE are probably quite worried about this. I suspect the vast majority of their customers joined them for the insurance, as opposed to any sense of "belonging to the association," so they see an existential threat now that insurance isn't really needed any more. The "cover for previous years" story can only last so long.

Personally, I'll probably keep my IPSE membership going for another year while both the market and my position in it work themselves out. But if things end up as most people seem to think they will - all of us on payroll - insurance won't be necessary and I'll cancel it.
              I think the likes of QDOS and IPSE are probably quite worried about this
              IPSE in the short term I would guess, but perhaps QDOS only in the longer term to a certain extent. QDOS are picking up business from organisations wanting to assess their contracting community correctly and are engaging them to conduct this exercise. This business might continue for QDOS well after April 2020 if or when those businesses that are now trying to avoid the issues realise that they can't engage the contractors that they wish to.

Comment

I got my moneys worth out of the IPSE this year - defended against a tax investigation (I won) and shopping vouchers (though my gas company sells these now too)

It's just gone up to £319 a year though
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  I got my moneys worth out of the IPSE this year - defended against a tax investigation (I won) and shopping vouchers (though my gas company sells these now too)

It's just gone up to £319 a year though
                  defended against a tax investigation
                  I guess it was Markel Tax who did that, not IPSE. The same cover can be bought directly from Markel Tax for < £200 PA. None of the other "benefits" that IPSE offer were of any use to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X