• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I reclaim overpaid Corporation Tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I reclaim overpaid Corporation Tax?

Is it possible to obtain a refund on overpaid Corporation Tax from several years ago? (c. 2013/2014)

My accountant thought I should pay Corporation Tax on some dividend income, which I argued against, eventually they agreed after the corporation tax had been paid for one year. They then said it wouldn't be possible to claim the tax back but it might be possible to claim it back in the future due to the rules changing, but that it may be possible to offset it against other income in the future. However I have now stopped work and have no income to claim it against.

As I understand it, I paid approximately £2000 in tax, which is currently shown as a carried forward loss in my accounts. The accountant is talking about claiming back approx. £400. I am querying this with him. I expected to get the whole amount back.

You paid CT on dividend income? Sorry, don't understand...

Perhaps talk to an accountant who understands accountancy in the first instance.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      You paid CT on dividend income? Sorry, don't understand...

Perhaps talk to an accountant who understands accountancy in the first instance.

Perhaps he didn't tell the whole story...
      https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...t=#post2187328
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Perhaps he didn't tell the whole story...
        https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...t=#post2187328
        Well it might have helped...

But since that looks like corporate income rather than personal divis, then CT would be due on the profit element. How much and at what rate is open to discussion.

And no, you can't reclaim it, short of a major rewrite of your company accounts, only offset it against future years.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          And no, you can't reclaim it, short of a major rewrite of your company accounts, only offset it against future years.
          So it is possible to reclaim it, by rewriting the accounts? How much work would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by syrio View Post
            So it is possible to reclaim it, by rewriting the accounts? How much work would that be?
            Ask your accountant

Comment

Originally posted by syrio View Post
              You've declared your accounts to be true and accurate when you filed them. So what do you think?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Anyway the matter is now resolved. The overpaid corporation tax was approx £400, and is now being reclaimed.

Comment

Working...
                X