• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Terminated Just Before Christmas Furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Note: the above is based upon usual terms found in contracting contracts. You may have a very special snowflake contract, but if it does force the client to pay notice, then it will mean you are certainly IR35 caught.
    Agree, if the contract states that it will pay the notice period, irrespective of signed timesheets then this WILL be brought up by HMRC's legal team as very strong evidence of an employee type relationship, and that there is clear MOO in place.

Conversely if the contract states there is no MOO in that no requirement to give work and no requirement to accept, then HMRC's legal team will state that this is irrelevant as you have entered into a contract so MOO is present by definition.

Laughable really...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      And here we go with the 'legal' thing again.
      Didn't you get that memo?
      If you don't like it then it's not legal.

It keeps Twitter alive (and a lot of threads on here).
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        It keeps Twitter alive (and a lot of threads on here).
        Its illegal to say that!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Its illegal to say that!
          I like it! (Therefore it is legal).
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And here we go with the 'legal' thing again. Because companies that actually understand what they are doing often do things illegally...

In your contract it says you get paid per days work done and that payment will be given upon receipt of a signed timesheet. No work done or no timesheet is no pay. We do not get paid notice period if we didn't work it. It's all there in your contract so I suggest you start reading it and understanding it.

If they are giving you a week for doing nothing then snap their hand off and feel very lucky. Pretty rare for that to happen and they certainly don't need to do it.
            I didn't realise you were privy to his contract!

Not all contracts stipulate a signed off timesheet for instance, though in practice I'm sure it does say they don't have to provide work you never know they might have stuffed themself
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by bmg2g View Post
              Is this legally correct or can i contest this ?
              To get a definitive answer, pay a lawyer to have a look at the contract. Will cost a few hundred quid.

As a contractor though, you should really have the mindset of a Samurai. Be prepared to be terminated at any moment, then move on to the next gig without asking any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
                To get a definitive answer, pay a lawyer to have a look at the contract. Will cost a few hundred quid.

As a contractor though, you should really have the mindset of a Samurai. Be prepared to be terminated at any moment, then move on to the next gig without asking any questions.
                How do Samurai fare in the CEST tool?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  How do Samurai fare in the CEST tool?
                  A Samurai would rather die with honour than be subjected to the CEST tool.

Comment

So why do we have notice periods at all then?
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      So why do we have notice periods at all then?
                      excellent question.
                      although i have, in the past, been paid for notice periods i didn't have to work, when projects were canned.
                      that was just goodwill by the banks though.
                      there's no legal challenge.

Comment

Working...
                      X