• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Terminated Just Before Christmas Furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    So why do we have notice periods at all then?
    We shouldn't really. Instant notice would be better for IR35 but it's understandable a client needs a notice period from a contractor just because of the nature of the supplier/client relationship. It is also there so it can be used properly... just other clauses can overturn it. On the whole more clients will honour notice than not IMO.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Gives the men a chance to buy her chocolates

IGMC

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        excellent question.
        although i have, in the past, been paid for notice periods i didn't have to work, when projects were canned.
        that was just goodwill by the banks though.
        there's no legal challenge.
        I can top that

Offered role at HSBC was going through lengthy onboarding period, project got canned before I stated or signed a contract and they paid me 20days top rate money - I had not even handed my notice in at my current client (as was making sure onboarding was complete 1st) - when agent called me up to tell me it was canned, I was doing a dance round the office

I just continued with current client

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

well whoop de doo.

still got acne then, eh?

or is it just a small dick?

Comment

It is an interesting one. I suspect it's because many B2B contracts have a notice period as there would generally need to be a run down period when terminating a business engagement. However, most contracts (note I didn't say all, before someone comes up with some highly specific edge case they heard from a friend's nephew's aunt) have no need for that and the presence of a notice period is a bit like why do we still have an appendix?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              It is an interesting one. I suspect it's because many B2B contracts have a notice period as there would generally need to be a run down period when terminating a business engagement. However, most contracts (note I didn't say all, before someone comes up with some highly specific edge case they heard from a friend's nephew's aunt) have no need for that and the presence of a notice period is a bit like why do we still have an appendix?
              Look at it from the clients side - you don't want people disappearing immediately at the drop of a hat - you want notice to at least get some form of handover organised.

The notice period is a 2 way version of that - it ensures the client gets a handover if the contractor wants to leave and doesn't really cost an organised company anything - the only companies I get annoyed about leaving is when the notice is non-existent and the client had known in advance the budget would run out in a months time.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Look at it from the clients side - you don't want people disappearing immediately at the drop of a hat - you want notice to at least get some form of handover organised.

The notice period is a 2 way version of that - it ensures the client gets a handover if the contractor wants to leave and doesn't really cost an organised company anything - the only companies I get annoyed about leaving is when the notice is non-existent and the client had known in advance the budget would run out in a months time.
                I was thinking of notice to the contractor, rather than notice from, as the discussion had been around client/agency notice periods not being worth the paper they're printed on.

Comment

Working...
                X