• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to Close Down My Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikhailCompo View Post
    2) I got the laptop in April but some types of IT kit appear to be written off after a year and other things three years judging by my accountants software. What/where are the rules on writing off assets?
    3) Significantly nearer 26k!!!
    4) Doh!

Thanks, really helpful. How much do you change for company closures?
    2) You should be considering what fair market value is for each asset at cessation. If at their current age they're worth £tens, definitely ok to consider them scrapped. If they're still worth £thousands, I'd suggest not. If it's £low hundreds you can probably get away with it (ie not that unreasonable to consider scrapped).

I'm part owner of MVL Online, you should be able to find them and their fees easily enough from Google.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      2) You should be considering what fair market value is for each asset at cessation. If at their current age they're worth £tens, definitely ok to consider them scrapped. If they're still worth £thousands, I'd suggest not. If it's £low hundreds you can probably get away with it (ie not that unreasonable to consider scrapped).

I'm part owner of MVL Online, you should be able to find them and their fees easily enough from Google.
      Pretty sure you can't just declare dividends to get assets below £25k then use a capital distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
        Pretty sure you can't just declare dividends to get assets below £25k then use a capital distribution.
        Citation?
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          Citation?
          The theory is that there's two separate things, which should be based around facts rather than personal choice:
          - distributed funds whilst the company was trading, which will be taxable as dividends.
          - distributed funds taken in anticipation of/as part of company closure, which will be taxable as capital gains (subject to £25k cap for strike offs).

Whether you'd get caught is of course (as always) another matter, but legally you'd be on shaky ground if you had (say) £30k retained profit, ceased trading a month earlier, take £6k today and call it a dividend, then take £24k tomorrow calling it withdrawal as part of winding up.

(yeah appreciate that's not a citation, I never was one for remembering specific bits of the tax legislation...but FWIW I back up craigy1874 on this)

Comment

The theory is that there's two separate things, which should be based around facts rather than personal choice:
            - distributed funds whilst the company was trading, which will be taxable as dividends.
            - distributed funds taken in anticipation of/as part of company closure, which will be taxable as capital gains (subject to £25k cap for strike offs).

Whether you'd get caught is of course (as always) another matter, but legally you'd be on shaky ground if you had (say) £30k retained profit, ceased trading a month earlier, take £6k today and call it a dividend, then take £24k tomorrow calling it withdrawal as part of winding up.

(yeah appreciate that's not a citation, I never was one for remembering specific bits of the tax legislation...but FWIW I back up craigy1874 on this)
            Thanks, I appreciate the clarification. Timing is clearly an important consideration. Noted.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Thanks for replying to that Maslins and for backing me up

Comment

What about if I had not taken a dividend for longer than i normally would have, so in effect I had delayed paying a dividend simply because I did not know what the rules were.

So now I am better informed, if i take a divdend today for say 5k and close my business in probably March ish, would that be a real problem for me?

What i am trying to say is i think i am roughly on the threshold, so i dont want to pay for a liquidator unecessarily. It boils down to what my tax burden is at present (delayed year end accounts being processed v soon by accountant), as well as the value of a few assets. I dont want to get to March and find i have like £26k, that seems like the a worst case to me.

Comment

Depends what you're happy justifying if pushed. "I only realised late that it didn't suit my tax situation too well" isn't a valid reason IMHO.

In your shoes I think something like a late pension contribution would be more readily justified IMHO. If you have a pension set up, and not yet done final CT return etc, may be worth considering.

Comment

I had delayed paying a dividend simply because I did not know what the rules were
                    Not knowing what the rules are isn't an excuse a company director can really use. If HMRC see that they might get all curious about what other aspects of company or personal taxation you didn't know the rules of....

Comment

What about if I had not taken a dividend for longer than i normally would have, so in effect I had delayed paying a dividend simply because I did not know what the rules were.
                      What do you mean by "longer than I normally would have"?
                      Are we talking previous tax year? After the year end accounts have been submitted?
                      Or is it just about timing and amount for this tax year?

You're being a bit too vague to give a reasonable answer.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X