• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited company status after moving into umbrella (short term view)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited company status after moving into umbrella (short term view)

hi, recently joined this forum and this is my first post. I am looking to move into a new contract inside IR35 soon using an umbrella route. How long can I keep my limited company 'trading' (profit from previous years, but without any employee and/or income going forward) before I have to take action on closing it down or declaring it dormant. (Co. tax year ends in January).

Many thanks,

What did your accountant say?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordZen View Post
      hi, recently joined this forum and this is my first post. I am looking to move into a new contract inside IR35 soon using an umbrella route. How long can I keep my limited company 'trading' (profit from previous years, but without any employee and/or income going forward) before I have to take action on closing it down or declaring it dormant. (Co. tax year ends in January).

Many thanks,
      Hi ConcordZen

I'm unsure who your current accountant is, but Contractor Umbrella offers free use of the umbrella service (yes, no margin deducted!) for Dolan Accountancy clients that wish to use umbrella for some of their assignments.

The benefit for limited company contractors is that they can continue to keep their company open for any outside IR35 work they get, and seamlessly use umbrella for any inside IR35 work.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
      Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
        Hi ConcordZen

I'm unsure who your current accountant is, but Contractor Umbrella offers free use of the umbrella service (yes, no margin deducted!) for Dolan Accountancy clients that wish to use umbrella for some of their assignments.

The benefit for limited company contractors is that they can continue to keep their company open for any outside IR35 work they get, and seamlessly use umbrella for any inside IR35 work.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
        I was under the impression that IR35 determination only applies to people supplying their services via a Ltd Co - so if you are supplying your services via an Umbrella, IR35 determination doesn't apply and whether a contract is inside or outside is immaterial.

Shows what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by pacontracting View Post
          I was under the impression that IR35 determination only applies to people supplying their services via a Ltd Co - so if you are supplying your services via an Umbrella, IR35 determination doesn't apply and whether a contract is inside or outside is immaterial.

Shows what I know.
          As does another post. A worrying trend.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pacontracting View Post

Shows what I know.
            Hi pacontracting,

You're right in that the legislation only affects Ltd company contractors, but if the end-client says that the role is inside-IR35 and/or they won't be entertaining Ltd Co's, then the only other option for the contractor is to not take the role, or go umbrella (or go PAYE if the option is offered).

Thanks

Zeeshan
            Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              As does another post. A worrying trend.
              Really? A lot of people are just finding out about these changes and are entering the anger and/or denial phases.

Equally he does make a point as it's not clear.

Inside IR35 relates to the status - it basically means the client has determined the role to be one like employment / "payroll" role rather than a business to business relationship.

Payroll can be done in one of 3 ways, via PAYE, via umbrella or via IR35 using your PSC.

The sane options there are PAYE (if you want to earn money), umbrella if you want increased pension contributions - I don't think there is anyway that IR35 payments to your PSC make sense.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I don't think there is anyway that IR35 payments to your PSC make sense.
                This.... 10/10

Comment

Working...
                X