• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Striking the company off - None MVL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Striking the company off - None MVL

Hi,

Just looking at all options at closing down my Limited Company, and although not tax efficient, would striking the company off rather than going down the MVL route also be tied to the 2 year "phoenixing" rule.

i.e if I took dividends to get company funds down to £25k, then struck the company off, taking capital gains tax on the £25k, would I still have to wait 2 years if I ever decided to create another limited company? My accountant isn't so certain

As long as you can justify that any "dividends" you take now, weren't taken in anticipation of the winding up (ie whereas the remaining ~£24k were), then yeah, you're likely fine. By that I mean the new-ish TAAR which is the anti phoenixing 2 year thing you're probably thinking of, does apply to liquidations only. However, in some more blatant situations you could fall foul of the more general GAAR. Unlikely for a one off situation like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      As long as you can justify that any "dividends" you take now, weren't taken in anticipation of the winding up (ie whereas the remaining ~£24k were), then yeah, you're likely fine.
      To your knowledge has anyone ever been challenged (and upheld) by HMRC etc on that?

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        To your knowledge has anyone ever been challenged (and upheld) by HMRC etc on that?
        No...but that's certainly not me condoning it.

Comment

No...but that's certainly not me condoning it.
          And it probably hasn't because the good advice as you stated is to be very careful and try and avoid so a very limited number of instances to pick from. If PR1's stance was no therefore lets do it then everyone one would and there would definitely be some cases... if that makes sense.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And it probably hasn't because the good advice as you stated is to be very careful and try and avoid so a very limited number of instances to pick from. If PR1's stance was no therefore lets do it then everyone one would and there would definitely be some cases... if that makes sense.
            Nobody I know has been busted for robbing a bank. Therefore I should be able to rob a bank and be safe. That kind of logic?

Comment

Nobody I know has been busted for robbing a bank. Therefore I should be able to rob a bank and be safe. That kind of logic?
              Exactly.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X