• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Higher rent with cashback to tenants, to boost mortgage lend amount?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are aware that the interest will not be tax deductible so you will need to pay tax the increased rent.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I just don't see why you need to mess about if the rent you're charging is sufficient to cover the loan.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I just don't see why you need to mess about if the rent you're charging is sufficient to cover the loan.
        They haven't got the loan yet, they want to raise the rent figure to give to the lender when applying for the loan.

Can you not just put up the rent temporarily to secure the loan ? They can under pay you and run up arrears which you just waive when you revert to a lower rent.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          The rent covers the loan but lenders won't offer the loan because they lend based not only on LTV but on rental yield.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sign a new lease at £350 / month for twelve months. If your renters can't afford that, tell them you'll subsidise it and personally hand them £100 / month cash for twelve months. Take out your mortgage. When the lease expires, agree on a new one with your renters at mutually agreeable terms. Perhaps it will be £250 / month.

Don't agree the future now, though, that could be considered obtaining the mortgage fraudulently. If you reduce the rent later and then default, the mortgage company will allege fraud. You might consider it better to pay down the mortgage some before reducing the rent.

I don't know if cashback vouchers to a supermarket could be treated as an expense for tax purposes or not. I imagine cashback incentives are, especially if they are contractual. But if they are contractual, the mortgage company should be told about them and then it accomplishes nothing.

Personally, if I were running a charity rental (that's what this is, even if not in the legal form of a charity), I'd want to keep the debt on it below 50%. I'm quite happy to be generous but not to create significant financial risk doing so. But you've not told us why you want the cash, and the amount and reasons are your own business.

When you say the rent will cover the interest on the loan, you are remembering that the rent is taxable and the interest is not deductible, right? So for the rent to cover the interest, you have to be thinking about the rent after tax has been deducted. If you are going to be operating inside IR35 post-April, that means higher rate band tax, presumably.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              Sign a new lease at £350 / month for twelve months. If your renters can't afford that, tell them you'll subsidise it and personally hand them £100 / month cash for twelve months. Take out your mortgage. When the lease expires, agree on a new one with your renters at mutually agreeable terms. Perhaps it will be £250 / month.

Don't agree the future now, though, that could be considered obtaining the mortgage fraudulently. If you reduce the rent later and then default, the mortgage company will allege fraud. You might consider it better to pay down the mortgage some before reducing the rent.

I don't know if cashback vouchers to a supermarket could be treated as an expense for tax purposes or not. I imagine cashback incentives are, especially if they are contractual. But if they are contractual, the mortgage company should be told about them and then it accomplishes nothing.

Personally, if I were running a charity rental (that's what this is, even if not in the legal form of a charity), I'd want to keep the debt on it below 50%. I'm quite happy to be generous but not to create significant financial risk doing so. But you've not told us why you want the cash, and the amount and reasons are your own business.

When you say the rent will cover the interest on the loan, you are remembering that the rent is taxable and the interest is not deductible, right? So for the rent to cover the interest, you have to be thinking about the rent after tax has been deducted. If you are going to be operating inside IR35 post-April, that means higher rate band tax, presumably.
              Thanks that all makes sense. I don't know what proofs the lender might ask for - presumably they are entitled to demand a copy of a tenancy agreement? Or can they only stipulate that we have one in place?
              If they were able to demand to see historical records then changing things now mightn't help. Which sounds draconian but in modern Britain financial institutions seem to have near-unfettered access under laundering/fraud/responsible lending rules.

The idea to simply sign a higher rental and let the tenants underpay without kicking up a fuss is kind of interesting at face level.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                ...The idea to simply sign a higher rental and let the tenants underpay without kicking up a fuss is kind of interesting at face level.
                I would suggest that "custom and practice" might be an issue for you if the tenant decides to reduce any payment to £0 and you decide to pursue them through the courts.

I think that you should seek professional advice on this scheme of yours.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  I would suggest that "custom and practice" might be an issue for you if the tenant decides to reduce any payment to £0 and you decide to pursue them through the courts.

I think that you should seek professional advice on this scheme of yours.
                  I think the whole thing is going to rely on trust to a certain extent but I take your point.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I think the whole thing is going to rely on trust to a certain extent but I take your point.
                    Trust has a habit of disappearing if a fast buck (or free house rental) is possible.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X