• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Year Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Year Query

If I switch to an umbrella for the beginning of March, work all of March but don't actually get paid until after April 6, for tax purposes which tax year does the payment fall into? I've budgeted my divvis this year and don't want to inadvertently stray into higher rate.

TIA
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Next year. It's when the payment is made, not when the work was done that counts.

Comment

Thank you. It follows then I could ask the umbrella to delay payment until the new tax year?
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Definitely worth asking!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Next year. It's when the payment is made, not when the work was done that counts.
          Is that true? Is it not the date of the payroll run in the RTI report? (Pretty sure that will be the date that counts on a P60)

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Thank you. It follows then I could ask the umbrella to delay payment until the new tax year?
            don't give them a valid bank account number. Job sorted.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
              Is that true? Is it not the date of the payroll run in the RTI report? (Pretty sure that will be the date that counts on a P60)
              The payroll run states the date the payment is made

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                don't give them a valid bank account number. Job sorted.
                This was my point (in why I don't think it would work) - the payroll RTI will still show the date they intended to/tried to pay you (i.e. possibly in the previous tax year)

Comment

The umbrella will only pay you when the money hits their account.

Just ask you agency to pay you in April or delay sending in timesheets to April 6th.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                  X