• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxes and Visa Issues for a short contract in Belgium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxes and Visa Issues for a short contract in Belgium

I've been offered a 45 day contract to work in Brussels. The contract will be with an recruitment agency here in the UK, and supposedly expenses will be paid for flights and hotel. The rate is £450 per day. Starting immediately, so should be done before April.

I've tried to read most of the working in Belgium thread, and still don't know some important things for sure. Can somebody help me with the following?
    • Will me or my company have to register and pay tax in Belgium? Could I possibly have to pay tax again in the UK? If so, this might be a deal killer right there.
    • I'm an American and have an indefinite leave to remain based on being married to a French person. I don't have UK citizenship but I do have the unlimited right to work in the UK. I have no idea if I have the right to work in Belgium. Who's responsible to figure this out? If it's me, this also might be a deal killer.

I've been on the bench a long time and could use a short contract like this, but if it's going to open up a whole lot of hassle about taxes it might not be worth it. I am also going to call my accountant.

Any thoughts?

Just an update:

My accountant said me or my company don't have to file taxes in Belgium, which seems to be contrary to some of what was said in the 55 page long "work in Belgium" thread.

He wasn't sure about the work permit problem.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
      I've been offered a 45 day contract to work in Brussels. The contract will be with an recruitment agency here in the UK, and supposedly expenses will be paid for flights and hotel. The rate is £450 per day. Starting immediately, so should be done before April.

I've tried to read most of the working in Belgium thread, and still don't know some important things for sure. Can somebody help me with the following?
      • Will me or my company have to register and pay tax in Belgium? Could I possibly have to pay tax again in the UK? If so, this might be a deal killer right there.
      • I'm an American and have an indefinite leave to remain based on being married to a French person. I don't have UK citizenship but I do have the unlimited right to work in the UK. I have no idea if I have the right to work in Belgium. Who's responsible to figure this out? If it's me, this also might be a deal killer.

I've been on the bench a long time and could use a short contract like this, but if it's going to open up a whole lot of hassle about taxes it might not be worth it. I am also going to call my accountant.

Any thoughts?
      You don't. 99% sure that you will need to apply for Schengen visa/work permit.

Comment

If you are not an EU citizen (or UK currently) then you can't work in Belgium.

If you simply have a UK work visa but are a US citizen then see restart my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
          If you are not an EU citizen (or UK currently) then you can't work in Belgium.

If you simply have a UK work visa but are a US citizen then see restart my post.
          What about Americans that fly into Belgium to attend work meetings for one day? That must happen all the time and can't be illegal. It seems like this possible contract just extends that idea to 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
            What about Americans that fly into Belgium to attend work meetings for one day? That must happen all the time and can't be illegal. It seems like this possible contract just extends that idea to 3 months.
            That is legal, but the principle doesn't extend to 3 months. You are allowed business visits, attending meetings but this contract goes beyond that, you will actually be working rather than just attending a meeting.

If you can arrange to work remotely there is no problem, otherwise I would drop the idea.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
            X