Client charging for IR35 assessment Client charging for IR35 assessment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    9

    Default Client charging for IR35 assessment

    One of my clients, a large multinational aerospace company, has just decided that I should pay £150 + vat for an IR35 assessment from a company called Paystream to enable them confirm my status after April.

    Given that my I paid my accountant to determine my status when it was my responsibility, how come I’m expected to pay again when it’s their responsibility!

    Their excuse is that if they paid it would be treating me as an employee.......except of course the employees don’t have to do an IR35 review!

  2. #2

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    24,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NobbyClark View Post
    One of my clients, a large multinational aerospace company, has just decided that I should pay £150 + vat for an IR35 assessment from a company called Paystream to enable them confirm my status after April.

    Given that my I paid my accountant to determine my status when it was my responsibility, how come I’m expected to pay again when it’s their responsibility!

    Their excuse is that if they paid it would be treating me as an employee.......except of course the employees don’t have to do an IR35 review!
    Your options are:-

    1) pay it and ensure you get the outcome you want
    2) be marked as being inside IR35 and suffer the consequences.

    The choice is yours but at least you have a choice (some clients have taken blanket policy decisions no limited company contractors).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  3. #3

    More time posting than coding

    KinooOrKinog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Your options are:-

    1) pay it and ensure you get the outcome you want
    2) be marked as being inside IR35 and suffer the consequences.

    The choice is yours but at least you have a choice (some clients have taken blanket policy decisions no limited company contractors).
    Option 3, he pays it & still gets determined inside!
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

  4. #4

    Godlike

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    Option 3, he pays it & still gets determined inside!
    In that scenario I would ask the client if they will refund the fee of it turns out they are avoiding their tax obligations by fostering a disguised employee scenario

  5. #5

    More time posting than coding

    FIERCE TANK BATTLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    In that scenario I would ask the client if they will refund the fee of it turns out they are avoiding their tax obligations by fostering a disguised employee scenario
    But don't forget to sign off with stress first (paid)

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    Option 3, he pays it & still gets determined inside!
    Option 4. Exercise my option to not accept any more work that’s offered.

  7. #7

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    24,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NobbyClark View Post
    Option 4. Exercise my option to not accept any more work that’s offered.
    Where else is offering everyone a replacement contract that is outside IR35? Granted the deal isn't perfect but I can see their logic (even though it's up to the end client to determine status).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  8. #8

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Paystream doing IR35 determinations? Oh dear...

  9. #9

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigy1874 View Post
    Paystream doing IR35 determinations? Oh dear...
    Which I am sure they will find you inside...and then your only choice of brolly approved by the end client/agency would be.....

  10. #10

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NobbyClark View Post
    Given that my I paid my accountant to determine my status[...]
    Why is your accountant determining your IR35 status? and why is you client using an accountancy company to determine your IR35 status? You / they should be using a legislation specialist for determination, if you do end up coughing up for it at least tell them to use a proper company (like Qdos, IPSE etc.).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •