• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are losses worth anything?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are losses worth anything?

My company has been making a loss for a few years due to ill health, working abroad etc.

I was planning a triumphant return to the UK contracting market where I could live it up tax free for a while.

Since this now seems to be off the cards, I’m wondering what to do. If I close the company, would I lose all the tax freeness I’ve built up?

Is there any way of selling the losses?

Another possibility is transferring a spare house into the company and letting it out. I guess I could take all the rental income tax free for a few years?

I’m a bit ignorant about all this stuff, so ELI5 please.

No

Grow up

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Google "MCINOCOT". Basically if the losses were made by you contracting, then unless you make profits in future from you contracting, via the same company, then those losses are dead.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
        My company has been making a loss for a few years ...
        Do you mean you've been taking money out of it, when there was no money to take?

Let's say the company books were £10k in the red at the end of last year, then you paid yourself £45k in salary and dividends, meaning the company is now £55k in the red.

Do you intend to keep taking money out until the banks, etc, stop lending it to your company?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Do you mean you've been taking money out of it, when there was no money to take?

Let's say the company books were £10k in the red at the end of last year, then you paid yourself £45k in salary and dividends, meaning the company is now £55k in the red.

Do you intend to keep taking money out until the banks, etc, stop lending it to your company?
          Unfortunately not, if I owed other people I could probably Phoenix and make a fortune. Just paying the salaries while I was ill, with my own money.

I expect just letting the company become dormant and then reopening it if I decide to come back to the UK is the best thing to do. Or else doing mini-contracts evenings and weekends to keep it ticking over.

Comment

If you owe a small amount, that is your problem. If you owe a huge amount, that's someone else's problem!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
            X