• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MVL question - CGT allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MVL question - CGT allowance

Hi all, I am considering liquidation, would like to clarify something with regards to CGT.

1. Company has two shareholders, with 20% and 80%. Would CGT allowance of ~12k be applicable for both (Given that each shareholder's share value is bigger than allowance.)

2. If distributions end up being made over this financial year 19/20 and the next one 20/21, does that mean that shareholders can claim CGT allowance for both years, so effectively ~24k tax free for each?

Thank you all.

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      1. Yes.
      2. Yes.
      Thank you.

If you don't mind me asking, is there a way to arrange for the distributions to be made over two financial years (Before/After April)? Or would that just be a matter of timing ?

Comment

Originally posted by amrhady View Post
        If you don't mind me asking, is there a way to arrange for the distributions to be made over two financial years (Before/After April)? Or would that just be a matter of timing ?
        Generally it will be a matter of timing. Get your company into liquidation within the next month or so, and it's fairly likely.

Liquidators are in charge of when they end the liquidation...so in extreme cases they could theoretically keep the liquidation going for several years to give the client the benefit of multiple years (ie more than 2) worth of annual exemptions. Realistically liquidators won't want to do this, as if nothing else they need to submit formal annual progress updates to Companies House. So it'd be a pain for the liquidator, which in turn they'd charge the client for.

Comment

Working...
        X