• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Construction Industry VAT changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Construction Industry VAT changes

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the construction industry VAT changes that are due to happen on the 01st October? Just wondering whether my work as a drainage contractor could be affected by it? From reading up on it I think there is a possibility it could but not quite sure how to prepare for it, could get my accountant to sort it but would like to know if it's something I can do myself as it would be expensive doing it that way.

Here is a link to the changes - Domestic reverse VAT charge for building and construction services - GOV.UK

Originally posted by Ianwoord View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the construction industry VAT changes that are due to happen on the 01st October? Just wondering whether my work as a drainage contractor could be affected by it? From reading up on it I think there is a possibility it could but not quite sure how to prepare for it, could get my accountant to sort it but would like to know if it's something I can do myself as it would be expensive doing it that way.

Here is a link to the changes - Domestic reverse VAT charge for building and construction services - GOV.UK
    I don't think you will get much advice here as this is a forum for IT contractors not builders.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Ianwoord View Post

It will work very similar to EU VAT - you don't charge VAT, but instead note the buyer's VAT number and have the invoice state "Reverse charge of VAT". The accounting complexity is on the side of the buyer. You would still be able to reclaim VAT on purchases and there might be additional reporting to do to tell HMRC who you have sold to under the domestic reverse charge regime, but it's really not complicated.

Comment

Working...
      X