• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entrepreneurs relief changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entrepreneurs relief changes

Hi all, apologies if this question is confusing, I am a bit confused myself.

I realise that it's still all speculations with regards to ER changes in the coming budget. But I wondered if anyone can shed some light.

With regards to TAAR, my understanding is that if the rules do apply to someone then they would be subject to income tax on the distributions, so it's not just the 10% ER that they would lose but also they wouldn't be able to use CGT of 20%.

Would it be more likely then that if the government does remove ER, CGT at 20% cannot be used and it would be income tax instead? Or would that depend on how the rules get amended ?

Not sure if that makes sense, but I guess what I mean is, if ER does get removed, would we be looking then at CGT, or income-tax on distributions?

Thank you.

Originally posted by amrhady View Post
    Hi all, apologies if this question is confusing, I am a bit confused myself.

I realise that it's still all speculations with regards to ER changes in the coming budget. But I wondered if anyone can shed some light.

With regards to TAAR, my understanding is that if the rules do apply to someone then they would be subject to income tax on the distributions, so it's not just the 10% ER that they would lose but also they wouldn't be able to use CGT of 20%.

Would it be more likely then that if the government does remove ER, CGT at 20% cannot be used and it would be income tax instead? Or would that depend on how the rules get amended ?

Not sure if that makes sense, but I guess what I mean is, if ER does get removed, would we be looking then at CGT, or income-tax on distributions?

Thank you.
    I don't think there's any chance of CGT disappearing.
    So whether you pay income tax, dividend tax or CGT is down to the sums involved and your personal circumstance.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
    X