• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Season ticket iR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season ticket iR35

Mates season ticket is £13.5K (1st class from north Birmingham) just renewed it (outside ir35 / limited company)

Also plans to buy £5K avios points now for company flights in next year

Also plans to pay remaining 24 months car leasing costs this month in a lump sum

I asked him what happens if he needs to work inside ir35/umbrella from next month at RBS

His reply was “Finders keepers losers weepers” I’m outside now and can spend my company’s money legally as I wish.

Question 1. can he ?

If not does everyone need to stop using annual season tickets etc?

No reason I can think of that he shouldn't.

The rules haven't changed. If his company decides to accept his claim for expenses and they are legitimate at the time they are submitted, then there is no issue.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'd imagine he'd have to claim BiK a percentage of everything that now becomes personal use rather than business from the time he's inside in his end of year accounts no?

But if his attitude is as you say i doubt he will and knows the risk is pretty minimal so just do it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I'd imagine he'd have to claim BiK a percentage of everything that now becomes personal use rather than business from the time he's inside in his end of year accounts no?

But if his attitude is as you say i doubt he will and knows the risk is pretty minimal so just do it.
        Surly he is still an employee of his limited company and employee of umbrella Company ??? Can you be an employee of both?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Surly he is still an employee of his limited company and employee of umbrella Company ??? Can you be an employee of both?

Yes you can but that way could lead to surprising tax bills for the stupid as we discovered earlier today.

However you may have difficulty justifying a train ticket if there isn't obvious income coming in from those journeys were HMRC to come looking at expenses.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

No reason why not. Many people hold down two jobs or more jobs with multiple employers.

BiK probably does apply, but it's an edge case and the chances of it being queried are minute.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If you are here for bad advice, here is proper one:
              Ask him if he has heard of options trading over two accounting periods.
              Just enough so your SIC codes don't change.

Comment

He is an officer and shareholder of his company, I very much doubt he is an employee.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

if it's a one year season ticket, and he's just finshing a one year season ticket, then surely we're entering 24-month rule territory?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

His other plan (if moved to umbrella) is to stop taking dividends himself but his wife (book keeper) to max out each year until he returns to an outside position

Comment

Working...
                    X