• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Found inside and pension contributions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found inside and pension contributions

Let's say for arguments sake that I had a previous contract which had gross revenue of say £50k. I thought I was outside at time but have now lost a Tribunal. So the deemed payment is £47.5k so they're looking for their £17k.

Could I then say that I'm sacrificing £35k info my pension and keeping the £12.5 tax free amount so no tax is due? (Albeit I'd need to find £35k from personal funds to put in the pension).

If so, it would seem I could reclaim the corp tax/dividend tax as well?

I appreciate the scenario is unlikely but if I HAD received that the salary that year, I'd have put it in my pension and if they're backdating decisions seems only for I can too...

Just looking for more info on how it works when folk lose Tribunals...

Originally posted by DrStrange View Post
    Let's say for arguments sake that I had a previous contract which had gross revenue of say £50k. I thought I was outside at time but have now lost a Tribunal. So the deemed payment is £47.5k so they're looking for their £17k.

Could I then say that I'm sacrificing £35k info my pension and keeping the £12.5 tax free amount so no tax is due? (Albeit I'd need to find £35k from personal funds to put in the pension).

I appreciate the scenario is unlikely but if I HAD received that the salary that year, I'd have put it in my pension and if they're backdating decisions seems only for I can too...

Nope, when HMRC backdate, you're not allowed to either. It's the way that organisation operates, and has been considered perfectly acceptable by the government.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I kinda figured as much but seems crazy that decisions taken in good faith can be so easily undone.

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrange View Post

Just looking for more info on how it works when folk lose Tribunals.
        if the FTT judges you employed for tax purposes under IR35, then take your case to the ET, providing you are within time. Although the ET allows for a time extension provided a good reason is given. A retrospective FTT decision should be a good enough reason in my opinion, but has yet to be tested.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          if the FTT judges you employed for tax purposes under IR35, then take your case to the ET, providing you are within time. Although the ET allows for a time extension provided a good reason is given. A retrospective FTT decision should be a good enough reason in my opinion, but has yet to be tested.
          Do you have any experience of such matters?

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post

He hasn't, but he's read stories and likes to talk as if he knows all the legal implications.
            He'll advise others to take legal action, but has never done so himself.

Most of his posts should have "Caveat Emptor" on them.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              He hasn't, but he's read stories and likes to talk as if he knows all the legal implications.
              He'll advise others to take legal action, but has never done so himself.

Most of his posts should have "Caveat Emptor" on them.
              you forget that I proved the reverse

Comment

I did it in reverse. I went to the ET to prove I wasn't a disguised employee and HMRC dropped their intended IR35 investigation of me. So what WTFH claims isn't exactly true.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                  you forget that I proved the reverse
                  Are you saying that you
                  1. Took HMRC to court
                  AND
                  2. Won the case
                  AND
                  3. Got them to reopen closed tax years to allow you to resubmit your returns with different values on them

I note you have now edited your post to say different to earlier. What you claim to have taken to an Employment Tribunal was not about claiming a pension, so it was completely different.

Comment

No but that never stops him
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X