• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money transfer for an MVL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money transfer for an MVL

Hi there - My accounts (Brookson) have recommended SFP to perform my MVL.

SFP are asking me to transfer the money remaining in my business account to a liquidation account they have set up for me.

Is this usual ?

It seem horribly like what a phishing email would say.

G

Originally posted by gremlinsky View Post

SFP are asking me to transfer the money remaining in my business account to a liquidation account they have set up for me.

Is this usual ?

G
    So do some simple security checks.

Ask your accountant to give you the name of a person at SFP or look them up on linkedIn

Then phone them in person to confirm everything is OK
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      So do some simple security checks.

Ask your accountant to give you the name of a person at SFP or look them up on linkedIn

Then phone them in person to confirm everything is OK
      Yup - done that.
      I just wondered if anyone knew if this was common practice.

Comment

SFP Appear to be genuine. Otherwise Brookson and Intouch wouldn’t recommend them. You should however call them directly to confirm the details to transfer the money as email isn’t secure.

However they do seem a lot more expensive than competitors.

Comment

I've tried to do everything I could to check them out.
          The set up a liquidation account for me and I transferred £5 into it and rang them to check it was there and to send me a screenshot from their side.
          The lady I've been speaking to is on LinkedIn and the job title all ties up.

I just can't help being cautious as if I initiate the transfer then the liability is on me.

Anyhoo - the money has gone to SFP now so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed....

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
            SFP Appear to be genuine. Otherwise Brookson and Intouch wouldn’t recommend them. You should however call them directly to confirm the details to transfer the money as email isn’t secure.

However they do seem a lot more expensive than competitors.
            Yep because of the recommendation fees paid.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I just can't help being cautious as if I initiate the transfer then the liability is on me.
              Indeed. This isn't normal/best practice as I've suggested in other threads. However, from a practical perspective, it's a workaround to speed up company funds getting from your company to the liquidator. Otherwise you're normally waiting something like a month for the bank to process the liquidator's request, whilst the bank goes through their various checks/processes etc.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Yep because of the recommendation fees paid.
                Yes, though as those are against liquidator rules, it will be dressed up as something else.

About once a month MVLO get a call from an accountant like the below:
                "Hi, I've got some clients needing an MVL, what commission do you pay for referrals?"
                "Afraid we're not allowed to pay referral fees, but hopefully with our good reviews and competitive fees you'll still consider recommending us as a good option to the client."
                "Oh, XYZ liquidators charge the client double what you do, but they pay us £500 per referral, so we'll be recommending them."
                [sigh]"Ok, thanks for your call."

Of course XYZ liquidators will strongly deny paying a referral fee. They'll claim it's a justifiable fee payable to the accountant for doing lots of really important work.

The even worse one is when the client becomes aware of a cheaper liquidator, suggests them to the accountant, and the accountant then decides they'd need to charge an extra £500 to the client themselves if any liquidator other than their recommended one was used.

Comment

If you value speed above control and are prepared to pay for that speed, I’m sure that it will probably be ok.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Is this usual ?

G
                    I did this with SFP in 2016. It was all fine and the first distribution was speedy.

Comment

Working...
                    X