• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 day loan from Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 day loan from Ltd

So I've just put down a deposit on a car. I need to pay the remaining balance £18000 on Tuesday but I can't do that until I get the money from my current car that I am selling. I'll get the money from my current car Thursday. Can my Ltd loan me that £18k for 2 days without any tax implications? I would effectively be cancelling any loan agreement between myself and Ltd within the 14 day cooling off period?

I wouldn't have an issue with a loan for such a short length of time.

If you wanted a bit more comfort around it, charge yourself interest and pay that to the company too.

IANAA

Comment

TBH, as long at the loan is not outstanding at your company year end, who's to know (or care)?

Comment

I should have said that I have a £5k directors loan at the moment too which will be repaid in April. Company year end is end of Feb. So I guess another concern is whether that £5k then becomes a BIK as the total loan amount will have been over £10k (£15k) for two days which will result in the £5k being classed as a BIK? Or am I just overthinking it?

Comment

If you can avoid there being any loan outstanding at year end, that's best

Comment

No major implications if it’s repaid in 2 days and the existing loan is repaid before the 9 month deadline following the end of your financial year.

You should charge yourself interest at HMRC prescribed rates for the duration the balance is above £10k to avoid a BIK charge.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              No major implications if it’s repaid in 2 days and the existing loan is repaid before the 9 month deadline following the end of your financial year.

You should charge yourself interest at HMRC prescribed rates for the duration the balance is above £10k to avoid a BIK charge.
              What he says but IMO dont mix personal and company money. It might be possible in the short term but sets a precedent longer term. First this, then what?
              Last edited by northernladuk; 25 January 2020, 03:42.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Loans from one's company are allowed. But, there are rules. Keep Directors Loans below 10k. Create paperwork and charge interest (currently 2.5% pa) on Beneficial Loans. Any Beneficial Loan still outstanding 9 months after the year end in which the loan was received will incur a repayable S455 charge on the company to HMRC.

Go for it. Google is you friend.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I would have thought you could delay payment by 2 days with the car dealer.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Don't buy the car.

Check out leasing options for electric cars and read up on the BIK from April onwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X