• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sajid Javid set to curb ‘entrepreneurs relief’ in Budget

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost certainly won't help, but can't hurt:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/110841...rap-tax-relief

Comment

Well, I have no reason to doubt Corbyn’s explicit manifesto tax promises - which included elimination of ER with CGT becoming income tax rate aligned, with 50% tax rate and corp tax going up with divi tax up also.
      Originally posted by zerosum View Post
      It's a shibboleth anyway, he would never have gotten a majority. The likeliest alternative outcome was a coalition that would have restrained many of Corbyn's crazier plans.
      The Greens and SNP were the most likely coalition partners (or at least to have confidence-and-supply agreements with Labour).

They would both have agreed to eliminating ER, aligning CGT with income tax, 50% additional tax rate, lower threshold for the additional tax rate, and higher corp and div tax. The SNP is aching to push up taxes in Scotland far more than they have if they could do it without an exodus to England, why would they object?

The LibDums would not have opposed eliminating ER, aligning CGT with income tax, 50% additional tax rate, and at least some increases to corp and div tax. They'd have probably also agreed to lowering the threshold for additional tax, perhaps not as low as Corbyn would have wanted it.

Inheritance tax would have been much worse also.

People say it would have only been a coalition but the SNP and Greens are not substantively to the right of Corbyn on tax.

It's a pity there's no party that is actually economically sensible.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        It's a pity there's no party that is actually economically sensible.
        1) Voters aren't economically literate
        2) Even I don't know what is economically sane in the modern world with zombie companies surviving for years past their expiry date.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Petition . Stop Abolition of Entrepreneurs''' Relief . Change.org

Debatable what good these petitions actually do but I've signed and also donated

Comment

Originally posted by MrContractor85 View Post

Debatable what good these petitions actually do but I've signed and also donated
            It’s long past it was debatable - they don’t do tulip even if you get millions to sign up

Comment

agree with this completely. It might have been a different story if the election was next month, but we're stuck with what we've got, however they turn out to be, for a few years yet

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              It’s long past it was debatable - they don’t do tulip even if you get millions to sign up
              Last edited by ahspooner; 9 March 2020, 17:47.

Comment

Originally posted by MrContractor85 View Post

Do you know who you've donated to and what exactly will be done with your money? What accountability do they have?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Do you know who you've donated to and what exactly will be done with your money? What accountability do they have?
                  Apparently it was to publicise it more but to be honest who knows what that actually means and how it manifests itself but it was £6 so I'm not that precious about it

Comment

ER remains but with a £1million cap.

Comment

Working...
                    X