• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving money between companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, so you don't like your accountant's answers, and you don't like Lance's answers.

If you didn't close your LTD, then you could transfer the money having the Ltd as the owner of the SPV.
    Since you've decided that you refuse to do that, then you'll have to get the money out of the Ltd into your personal account, then re-invest it in the SPV.

You can't just "gift the cash" as it's not yours to gift, it belongs to the Ltd.
    Depends if they're factual or opinion...

It's not that I refuse to do it, it's that I am closing down the Ltd.. So I don't see how it's possible..

It belongs to the Ltd but I own the Ltd and can say what happens to the money in it - as long as it doesn't find its way directly into my personal bank account..

I could legitimately set up the SPV and charge my Ltd company for services.. Then have my Ltd company pay my SPV company - so I don't see the difference..
    It makes sense to be able to do so, but just wanted confirmation one way or the other..

If you're saying for a fact that it's not possible, fair enough and I'll look into an alternative..

Cheers,

NP

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      Yes. Link?
      4 posts above, I read it there also

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by peel3000 View Post

It's not that I refuse to do it, it's that I am closing down the Ltd.. So I don't see how it's possible..

OK, let me rephrase it "You have decided that you must close down your Ltd, and you refuse to consider not closing it down"

It would be possible if you changed your mind on closing down your Ltd.
        You are the one making it impossible because of a choice you have decided to make.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by peel3000 View Post
          I could legitimately set up the SPV and charge my Ltd company for services.. Then have my Ltd company pay my SPV company - so I don't see the difference..
          you could do that, but then you have CT to pay on the services you sold to to your LTD.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You cannot transfer money between 2 different limited companies without loaning it. They are 2 separate entities.

I believe you have misunderstood how this works. There is a way to do what you are trying to achieve but it's a bit more complex.

You need to set up a holding company which will own your old limited company and the new SPV company. You can then transfer the money to the holding company as dividends and close your old limited company down. The holding company can then invest/loan the money to SPV company. This is the only way to do it without any tax.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              OK, let me rephrase it "You have decided that you must close down your Ltd, and you refuse to consider not closing it down"

It would be possible if you changed your mind on closing down your Ltd.
              You are the one making it impossible because of a choice you have decided to make.
              Yes, I don't see the point of keeping open a Ltd that's not trading.. That is, unless I can minimise the costs of doing so.. This still isn't as good an option as liquidation..

So.. At the moment it's looking like liquidation then - with the ER; which was something I had considered and looks like I'll end up going with as this option doesn't look to have legs...

Thanks for your input, all..

Comment

Originally posted by jmann View Post
                You cannot transfer money between 2 different limited companies without loaning it. They are 2 separate entities.

I believe you have misunderstood how this works. There is a way to do what you are trying to achieve but it's a bit more complex.

You need to set up a holding company which will own your old limited company and the new SPV company. You can then transfer the money to the holding company as dividends and close your old limited company down. The holding company can then invest/loan the money to SPV company. This is the only way to do it without any tax.
                Yes, thanks for your reply.
                I am aware of the option of setting up a holding company; but I would think this would be a lot more complex (and costly) to run and disentangle..

As mentioned, I think liquidation is the best option just now.

Cheers

NP

Comment

Working...
                X