• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancelling PI Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Dunno but I haven't anything about HMRC stopping decent contractor companies that have been run properly from closing so I wouldn't be worried about that personally.

One full tax year. i,e. whatever is left this year and renew for 1 year. It's just a rule of thumb and it you are that wary do it for 2. For a few hundred quid it's a very cheap way to sleep at night. If you are one of them that thinks it's a waste of time and will never be needed then you can cancel it when you feel. If you are one of those that are adamant HMRC will never come after a closed company then also stop paying as soon as you want.

As neither the last two have been proven I'd be happy to shell out 250 quid more to be sure.
    Drop in the ocean to sleep at night.

I'm risk averse and would even consider doing it for at least 3/4 years for the sake of 250 each year for that reassurance.

Obviously your tax liability drops each year that goes by, but they also can go back the full 20, but I wouldn't want to do it for that long!

Comment

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post
      Drop in the ocean to sleep at night.

I'm risk averse and would even consider doing it for at least 3/4 years for the sake of 250 each year for that reassurance.

Obviously your tax liability drops each year that goes by, but they also can go back the full 20, but I wouldn't want to do it for that long!
      Nothing wrong with that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sorry, my comment wasn't meant to cause alarm. It was in response to you asking about enquiries 2/3 years down the line and me trying (obviously badly) to say there is a huge burden of proof needed to bring action against the individual when the company has been closed with HMRC's blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Sorry, my comment wasn't meant to cause alarm. It was in response to you asking about enquiries 2/3 years down the line and me trying (obviously badly) to say there is a huge burden of proof needed to bring action against the individual when the company has been closed with HMRC's blessing.
          Understood.

Typically, if you are in the process of closing down, outside of your tax affairs being all paid on time, is there anything else they would scrutinize?

If you don't go down the E. R route, it seems a pretty straight forward process but either route for liquidation you still have to get their stamp of approval. The backlog must be huge!

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
            Hello everyone

After 10 years working as a contractor via PSC, I would like to cancel Professional Indemnity cover for my limited company. I've learnt that after the cancellation the Insurer wouldn't honor claims relating to periods when my cover was active. Is this the standard practice? Seems unreasonable to me.

What is your opinion, how long should I keep up the "runoff" payments, given relatively low risk profile? Thank you in advance for your input.
            It depends on what your contracts say as well.
            My last contract demanded that the company keeps the indemnity cover for at least 3 years after the contract finishes.

Comment

Unaccustomed as I am to posting in such hallowed ground, read this about Run Off Cover of PI insurance.

Guide To Run Off Cover | Professionalindemnity.co.uk

Six years is the period many professional bodies require their members to carry run off PI for
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Unaccustomed as I am to posting in such hallowed ground, read this about Run Off Cover of PI insurance.

Guide To Run Off Cover | Professionalindemnity.co.uk

Nice find... You should post more..

That means more chance you'll slip up at some point and I'll 'Ave ya!! Raawwrrrr.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
                  Hello everyone

After 10 years working as a contractor via PSC, I would like to cancel Professional Indemnity cover for my limited company. I've learnt that after the cancellation the Insurer wouldn't honor claims relating to periods when my cover was active. Is this the standard practice? Seems unreasonable to me.

What is your opinion, how long should I keep up the "runoff" payments, given relatively low risk profile? Thank you in advance for your input.
                  What do your contracts state? Some explicitly request that you keep your insurance for at least 3 years after contract end (the highest I've seen).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Nice find... You should post more..

That means more chance you'll slip up at some point and I'll 'Ave ya!! Raawwrrrr.
                    I don't post in the professional forums unless I know what I'm posting about.

I've posted that PI stuff several times.

What brought it to my attention was the unfortunate surveyor who missed a bulging wall in a house purchase and thought he was covered by the estate agency's PI.

The agency then went bust, presumably without the runoff thing.

The surveyor got sued and lost, £40k IIRC.

Hence the above.

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
                    What do your contracts state? Some explicitly request that you keep your insurance for at least 3 years after contract end (the highest I've seen).
                    Originally posted by Ambulance Chaser site
                    The applicable limitation period in most professional negligence cases is six years from the date of the negligence. ...

If you are considering bringing a negligence claim against a professional, you should always act as swiftly as possible and seek legal advice on the relevant time limits for bringing a claim
                    One would suppose they know wot they're talking about.

Hence, one would also suppose, the duration of runoff being six (6) years.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 March 2020, 13:40.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
                      I had one that demanded 6 years. The last one had a 2 year period.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X