• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancelling PI Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I've been IT contracting via my limited company for about 6 years. About a month ago I started a new contract via umbrella company due to IR35.

My plan is to keep the company going with minimal outgoings for a few years. After that, I'll have an idea of how the market is with ltd co contractors, and if it's worth keeping or liquidating.
    Most of the money left is for corporation tax due. After that there will just be a few £1000s in the bank account.

My insurance is due for renewal next week, but what do I actually need?
    - Employers Liability? I'm now employed by an umbrella, so is it relevant?
    - Public Liability? I'm not doing anything via the company that could injure someone or result in a claim am I?
    - Professional Indemnity? This one I'm not sure about.

I see people here recommend keeping PI insurance for a few years, but what are the risks and worst case scenario?
    I know it's only a few hundred quid, but there's no point paying for a service that's of little or no benefit.
    As above, there won't be much money left in the business. Not brilliant, but not the end of the world if it's lost.
    Can the claim go against me personally as a director and former employee?
    I've not re-read all my past contracts recently, but don't remember a requirement to keep PI for following years. Even if there was, could it be enforced?

I do have a separate Qdos IR35 policy with 6 months until renewal. Is that something I should consider renewing in future too?

Thanks

Comment

I'd keep the professional indemnity, just in case you've upset a client, and if you had any tax investigation insurance I'd keep that ticking over too. While the company is still trading (albeit not doing much) it's still a potential target for HMRC.

Comment

Thanks Ladymuck

I just need a bit more clarity on the risk though.
        If a client or hmrc goes after me, is it just the money in the company they can get? In that case it's probably not worth their while.
        If they can go after me personally, then do I need to make sure the PI policy covers directors and ex-employees? Do I need to check how many years back it covers?

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Unaccustomed as I am to posting in such hallowed ground, read this about Run Off Cover of PI insurance.

Guide To Run Off Cover | Professionalindemnity.co.uk
          This is very interesting but is on a website trying to sell insurance. Surely the very nature of a limited company is that the liability rests with the company rather than individual employees, even if directors?

If that is true, my concern is that a company can be brought back from the dead through a court order for restoration.

Strike off, dissolution and restoration

Comment

Why keep the company open? You can easily create a new one when you need it.

I kept mine open for a few months in the expectation of work that didn't materialise. Now I'm closing it as I'm in an umbrella.

Still figuring out what to do about PI insurance though.

Does it depend on the assets you have in the company when it closes? If there are no assets then a claim against the company won't have anything to claim on.

Maybe if you were under a contract requiring PI for x years after completion, then a claim would be a valid reason to apply to the court to have the company reinstated. Would this happen in practice though?

Comment

Originally posted by 50h9j View Post
              This is very interesting but is on a website trying to sell insurance. Surely the very nature of a limited company is that the liability rests with the company rather than individual employees, even if directors?

If that is true, my concern is that a company can be brought back from the dead through a court order for restoration.

Strike off, dissolution and restoration
              It depends how your contracts are written.

It was explained to me by the lawyer that reviewed my contract, where I had to keep PI for 6 years, that if I closed my company that the would come after the directors individually. The clause was like that because the company had suffered data loss.

The lawyer had actually managed to get them to tweak it as he pointed out that the company had the insurance not me. (I was also strongly advised not to deal with anyone's personal data while on the contract.)
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by 50h9j View Post
                Why keep the company open? You can easily create a new one when you need it.

I kept mine open for a few months in the expectation of work that didn't materialise. Now I'm closing it as I'm in an umbrella.

Still figuring out what to do about PI insurance though.

Does it depend on the assets you have in the company when it closes? If there are no assets then a claim against the company won't have anything to claim on.

Maybe if you were under a contract requiring PI for x years after completion, then a claim would be a valid reason to apply to the court to have the company reinstated. Would this happen in practice though?
                If the company is closed how can it pay the premium? It can’t.
                So how exactly can it have PI?
                The only way that PI can still work after company closure is if the individual has PI. For an IT company that is not the case.

Maybe for a profession like lawyering, accountancy or similar the PI would be for the individual. On that basis I’d ignore any advise that is based on those examples.

About the only time a director is going to be held responsible is for corporate man slaughter or similar. And in those cases PL or EL is not valid anyway.

IANAL
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  About the only time a director is going to be held responsible is for corporate man slaughter or similar.
                  That's a fairly sweeping statement.

Some clients want e.g. confidentiality agreements to be agreed by the person and not the company. *

PI covering the director personally might be useful in those cases... maybe?

Tbh, I tend to be quite cynical about the need for, and value of, any of these stock type insurances.

* It's tricky, and annoying, because usually such documents are usually developed in-house, evolve to outreach their stated purpose, presented only after contract start, and you lack the same protections as an employee would wrt unreasonable clauses.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                    That's a fairly sweeping statement.

Some clients want e.g. confidentiality agreements to be agreed by the person and not the company. *

PI covering the director personally might be useful in those cases... maybe?

Tbh, I tend to be quite cynical about the need for, and value of, any of these stock type insurances.

* It's tricky, and annoying, because usually such documents are usually developed in-house, evolve to outreach their stated purpose, presented only after contract start, and you lack the same protections as an employee would wrt unreasonable clauses.
                    You say it’s sweeping but the one example you provide is irrelevant. PI is not going to cover you for breaching a confidentiality clause.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X