• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New SIPP's, pointers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New SIPP's, pointers?

As above really, I can't really pay many more dividends without hitting the high rate tax band. So it's time to open my new sipps. Was thinking initially putting 3-4k in. Any suggestions/guidance on which SIPP's provider to go for. And then perhaps which fund to invest in? Thinking a tracker fund, Vantage or something? There's a dazzling array to choose from.

Have a look through that lot. We discuss SiPPs and investing from time to time so should be able to find something.

Play with the keywords a bit. Same for the trackers, vantage has been discussed so try that as a keyword as well..

sipp site:contractoruk.com/forums - Google Search
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

TL;DR: Open up your SIPP at HL or AJ Bell YouInvest. Move your Vanguard funds over to Vanguard when they lunch their SIPP next tax year.

Comment

Originally posted by Syd View Post
        TL;DR: Open up your SIPP at HL or AJ Bell YouInvest. Move your Vanguard funds over to Vanguard when they lunch their SIPP next tax year.
        Hasn't Vanguard's SIPP been 'coming soon' since 2018?

Or have they confirmed it's definitely definitely coming soon?

Also, is HL 0.45% platform fee capped at £200/year relevant to Vanguard LifeStrategy in a SIPP so if the fund is big enough it may still be cheaper on HL (or other even cheaper platforms) than direct with Vanguard at 0.15% platform fee but capped at £375.

As this is all maths isn't there a robo investor or something automated somewhere to calc the best route for a certain value against a specific target fund (e.g. VLS or generic index tracker ETF) to avoid all the smoke and mirrors all pension and investment companies seem to use to skim the customer.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Any thoughts on the Vanguard offerings? I've picked the 40/60 bond/equity option. Sorry, I'm a complete novice at this. Also, I presume once I open the SIPP, I transfer funds into the SIPP. From there, I can log in and choose which investment products to buy out of the money I've transferred in?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Hasn't Vanguard's SIPP been 'coming soon' since 2018?

Or have they confirmed it's definitely definitely coming soon?

Also, is HL 0.45% platform fee capped at £200/year relevant to Vanguard LifeStrategy in a SIPP so if the fund is big enough it may still be cheaper on HL (or other even cheaper platforms) than direct with Vanguard at 0.15% platform fee but capped at £375.

As this is all maths isn't there a robo investor or something automated somewhere to calc the best route for a certain value against a specific target fund (e.g. VLS or generic index tracker ETF) to avoid all the smoke and mirrors all pension and investment companies seem to use to skim the customer.
            Lifestrategy is a "fund" isn't it, so isn't subject to the HL platform cap. A £250K Lifestrategy investment would cost £1125 in HL charges vs £375 at Vanguard.

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
              Any thoughts on the Vanguard offerings? I've picked the 40/60 bond/equity option. Sorry, I'm a complete novice at this . Also, I presume once I open the SIPP, I transfer funds into the SIPP. From there, I can log in and choose which investment products to buy out of the money I've transferred in?
              Maybe you need some professional help rather than a load of strangers?

Being a novice doesn't stop you doing some research in to how a SIPP operates. 5 mins in the HL website will answer your question and a heap of others.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                Lifestrategy is a "fund" isn't it, so isn't subject to the HL platform cap. A £250K Lifestrategy investment would cost £1125 in HL charges vs £375 at Vanguard.
                Hopefully Vanguard will go live with their SIPP soon so we can be sure of all the charges for whatever funds or trackers and ETFs we are interested in, to compare against the established competitors. It may drive overall fees down if they start sucking up all the business, if they really are much cheaper.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                  It would cost slightly less than £20 a month at Interactive Investor in a SIPP. And if you buy or sell, the monthly fee offsets the trade (I think one trade per month? Check this if you're interested in II).
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
                    Any thoughts on the Vanguard offerings? I've picked the 40/60 bond/equity option.
                    LifeStrategy 60% and 80% are both the VW Golfs of the investing world (I've got both and their returns are almost identical). You can swop bits into other categories (like Japan, Pacific ex Japan etc etc). You probably won't do any better but it adds a bit of spice to your life.
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X