• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Breach (Received Letter from Solicitor)..Please help..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    12 months is pretty unfair and usually unenforceable but as it's only been 3 months it could possibly be an issue...

But as I say, this is term in a contract between an agent and a company that no longer (or won't soon) exist... so pointless talking about the logistics of this.
    I received the letter yesterday and they asked me to respond within 2 weeks, so i am going to wait for 2 weeks by then my limited company closer will be almost done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ongole View Post
      I received the letter yesterday and they asked me to respond within 2 weeks, so i am going to wait for 2 weeks by then my limited company closer will be almost done.
      just make sure you respond in such a way that you don't simply provide evidence of what you've done. Leave the evidential burden to them.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

My accountant is very slow and VAT deregister application already submitted to HMRC.
        Does your company have any assets? Did it have any when this letter was received? If so, you could be in trouble for removing any assets from the company while there is an outstanding obligation of the company, and they are claiming there is an outstanding obligation.

You may need to be careful here....

Comment

" The Contractor will not accept work, provide services or products directly to the Client or subsidiary during the period of this contract or for a period of twelve months from the termination of this contract without the written consent of the Company."
          Someone (possibly you) signed that contract in the capacity of an officer of the company, not personally. I don't believe you (as an employee) can be bound by the terms of a contract you didn't agree to in a personal capacity. Even if the contract says that the company will ensure that staff will agree to these terms.

So unless they were intelligent enough to also get you (as an employee of your Ltd) to sign an agreement saying you agree to a personal handcuff clause, they have no claim against you personally, the only putative claim is against YourCo Ltd.

I don't know how long your original contract at the client was for, but it's widely agreed that a 12-month handcuff clause is not likely to be enforceable, due to being an unreasonable restraint of trade. So, even if they could legitimately show a loss (which is required for any claim to succeed), I think they're on dodgy ground with that handcuff clause. And if it is deemed unreasonable, it doesn't matter that you went back after only 3 months because the clause has to either stand or fail in its entirety.

So I think they're just trying it on.

In your position, I'd continue with the company closure and ignore letters from the solicitor or reply with a letter saying "Thank you for your enquiry. Ongole is no longer employed by MyCo". Whatever you do, do not let the agency/solicitor know that you're closing your company down.

But the question I'd really like to know the answer to here is, how did they know you were back working for that client? I hope you didn't tell them....

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
            Someone (possibly you) signed that contract in the capacity of an officer of the company, not personally. I don't believe you (as an employee) can be bound by the terms of a contract you didn't agree to in a personal capacity. Even if the contract says that the company will ensure that staff will agree to these terms.

So unless they were intelligent enough to also get you (as an employee of your Ltd) to sign an agreement saying you agree to a personal handcuff clause, they have no claim against you personally, the only putative claim is against YourCo Ltd.

I don't know how long your original contract at the client was for, but it's widely agreed that a 12-month handcuff clause is not likely to be enforceable, due to being an unreasonable restraint of trade. So, even if they could legitimately show a loss (which is required for any claim to succeed), I think they're on dodgy ground with that handcuff clause. And if it is deemed unreasonable, it doesn't matter that you went back after only 3 months because the clause has to either stand or fail in its entirety.

So I think they're just trying it on.

In your position, I'd continue with the company closure and ignore letters from the solicitor or reply with a letter saying "Thank you for your enquiry. Ongole is no longer employed by MyCo". Whatever you do, do not let the agency/solicitor know that you're closing your company down.

But the question I'd really like to know the answer to here is, how did they know you were back working for that client? I hope you didn't tell them....
            Between the agency and public sector company there is a consulting company with my earlier assignment, and i was contracted to consulting company (working for public sector at onsite). I think, the manager from the consulting company told the agency.

Thanks for your advise, really appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              Does your company have any assets? Did it have any when this letter was received? If so, you could be in trouble for removing any assets from the company while there is an outstanding obligation of the company, and they are claiming there is an outstanding obligation.

You may need to be careful here....
              Thanks for your advise. Really appreciated..

Comment

Between the agency and public sector company there is a consulting company with my earlier assignment, and i was contracted to consulting company (working for public sector at onsite). I think, the manager from the consulting company told the agency.

Thanks for your advise, really appreciated.
                This is new information. God knows why you people don't mention important stuff like "not only am I shafting the agency, but also the consultancy who are onsite and have witnessed me there doing the same bloody job"
                It was always going to get legal in that situation......

First things first then. You need to do a GDPR DSAR for the consultancy company https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...ed-my-consent/
                Find out what they've shared, with whom, and the reasoning they think it's valid or lawful to have done so. That way you'll find out exactly what's been shared.

Then you better get lawyered up. The consultancy will have a whole load more reasons to pursue this, and a whole load more evidence. And they may well chase you for their lost money which will be a huge amount larger than the agency's.

And FFS don't tell anyone what's going on. And don't tell anyone you're closing your LTD. Keep schtum.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by herman_g View Post
                  Sometimes it ends up as a call on the speaker phone between the client and the pimp where the pimp gets a stern telling off and the client puts the call on mute now and then as one or both of us are laughing too hard.
                  I've been in that situation twice. Once as a client and once as a contractor. Highly entertaining.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    This is new information. God knows why you people don't mention important stuff like "not only am I shafting the agency, but also the consultancy who are onsite and have witnessed me there doing the same bloody job"
                    It was always going to get legal in that situation......

First things first then. You need to do a GDPR DSAR for the consultancy company Does an organisation need my consent? | ICO
                    Find out what they've shared, with whom, and the reasoning they think it's valid or lawful to have done so. That way you'll find out exactly what's been shared.

Then you better get lawyered up. The consultancy will have a whole load more reasons to pursue this, and a whole load more evidence. And they may well chase you for their lost money which will be a huge amount larger than the agency's.

And FFS don't tell anyone what's going on. And don't tell anyone you're closing your LTD. Keep schtum.

Thanks. I will not share any details.
                    The job i am doing now is complete different from what i was doing. My project , my role and line manager, everything is different.

Comment

----
                      They have send the message to my limited company and mentioned my name since i am the director of the company.

exact terms of handcuff clause...

" The Contractor will not accept work, provide services or products directly to the Client or subsidiary
                      during the period of this contract or for a period of twelve months from the termination of this
                      contract without the written consent of the Company."
                      Who was the client on your original contract?

If it was the consultancy, then you're not in breach - you're now working for the PS body.

Arguably, you're employed by the umbrella, therefore not providing services or products "directly".

IANAL

(and it's advice )

Comment

Working...
                      X