• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance - LTD specific questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance - LTD specific questions

Simple question, couldn't see it on the search. Some questions are unclear if you're a contractor.

One question is "Current Grade/Rank - A Grade is usually the administrative classification or level a person holds at work. A Rank is a position in an organisation such as the Armed Forces."

Another is job title.

Then under employment, you have to answer "Are you self-employed?"

So, technically I am not self-employed using the 'legal' definition if you will of self-employed, I don't file my taxes under the banner of self-employment.

However the spirit of the section seems to suggest that if you basically work for yourself in the general sense (PSC) then perhaps you should fill it in as it asks for backup references. And indeed if you select Self-Employed, then the question "Date on which you established or joined the company" appears, suggesting it includes PSCs.

Job title could be anything, I could put Director or I could put Engineer.

Current Grade/Rank has no meaning either, so it's unclear what to put here.

It's also unclear if I should list the end client in the employment history, after all, the SC clearance is through them so you'd expect they should be listed.

Has anyone else jumped through these hoops? What did you go for?

I ask the clients security team for guidance. Put anything confusing down will just cause delays.

That help?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OP,
      My Limited Company has never yet failed to provide a glowing reference for myself as it's employee... When asked who employees me the answer is always my limited company, not the end client, agency or any other middleman.

My better half has dutifully completed employment and character references and they have never yet been queried. Even when one asked are you related to the applicant and she ticked yes !

Perversely I have had character references rejected as it came from a former line manager, who albeit is also a long-term friend. That organisation wanted someone who wasn't either subordinate to you nor you subordinate to them nor a relative, so basically a colleague.

In the general sense of the question as asked on the NSV website / forms, yes I'm 'self employed' , tax status is not their concern, it's the nature of the engagement and your suitability.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I ask the clients security team for guidance. Put anything confusing down will just cause delays.

That help?
        Yeah, cheers. I'll give it a go, I thought with it being an external process they might take forever to get back to me, but it's better to be safe.

Comment

for SC purposes you're self-employed.

provide the best references you can. IE. good people, not criminals. They can be agents, or people at other clients.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

did you miss the sticky?

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...questions.html
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Nope, I read the first page, but it didn't answer my question, then I saw there were 51 more pages and figured if my question was answered, the ol' faithful search + google search would have answered it...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
                OP,
                My Limited Company has never yet failed to provide a glowing reference for myself as it's employee... When asked who employees me the answer is always my limited company, not the end client, agency or any other middleman.
                But it doesn't employ you and you aren't an employee.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  But it doesn't employ you and you aren't an employee.
                  Yes, agreed, and something 90% of contractors have never understood. But for the purposes of clearance, use the self-employed tag. It's what I've done all eight times (count them...) I've been through SC clearance. Job title is either Director or, in my case, Consultant, depending on the day of the week.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                  X