• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Air BnB pricing. What's going on?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air BnB pricing. What's going on?

Anyone used Air BnB recently and if so have you had any weirdness around the pricing?

I'm looking at some digs which say they are 55 quid. Pick the odd day here and there and it stays 55. We'll ish, the price sometimes seems to vary by a quid or so but that's a side question.

But when is pick a week the price has gone up 10%. They have a 10% discount for a week and in the cost breakdown it shows the 10% discount but this only brings the price back to the original. It looks like it inflates the price by 10% and then takes it off.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Any witty, rude or unhelpful comments and I'm telling on you. Consider yourself telled.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

IMMHO air BnB is krap.
    i certainly wouldn't consider it for a business trip.

Comment

Try it also with incognito mode to see if it does the same. Their pricing model probably sees you have deep pockets.
      Also if it is a long stay always ask the host for an offer to meet your "budget". If it's a month I'd look to start with 10-15% above rental value for that area.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Anyone used Air BnB recently and if so have you had any weirdness around the pricing?

I'm looking at some digs which say they are 55 quid. Pick the odd day here and there and it stays 55. We'll ish, the price sometimes seems to vary by a quid or so but that's a side question.

But when is pick a week the price has gone up 10%. They have a 10% discount for a week and in the cost breakdown it shows the 10% discount but this only brings the price back to the original. It looks like it inflates the price by 10% and then takes it off.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Any witty, rude or unhelpful comments and I'm telling on you. Consider yourself telled.
        They have a new algorithm which trawls your previous reviews by hosts and applies a sex worker cleaning surcharge.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          Try it also with incognito mode to see if it does the same. Their pricing model probably sees you have deep pockets.
          Also if it is a long stay always ask the host for an offer to meet your "budget". If it's a month I'd look to start with 10-15% above rental value for that area.
          It'll take more than just 'incognito mode'. If you're using your broadband at home then DNS entry is often specific to your customer ID at the exchange; this is how your location is targeted via your DNS entry.

AirBnB does show weird pricing. The map-view shows a particular rate per night. This seems to exclude any cleaning fee, if someone has enabled this cost add-on. I've noticed in the past that the final price is often above. £54.49 translates to £54 on the map and summary view rather than £55. Given the service fee and any other cleaning/associated fee the price is always higher than expected when booking.

Try the website rather than the phone app.

Comment

You're going permie so why do you care?

Comment

Originally posted by genius View Post
              You're going permie so why do you care?
              Who is?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The service fees seem much more expensive than they used to be. I just paid £68 service fee on a £400 booking.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  The service fees seem much more expensive than they used to be. I just paid £68 service fee on a £400 booking.
                  Probably due to the state some people will leave properties in. I refuse to use air BnB. Don't agree with the concept.
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                    Probably due to the state some people will leave properties in. I refuse to use air BnB. Don't agree with the concept.
                    Not the cleaning fee which is extra. I was referring to the Air B&B service fee.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X