• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYE Calculator (Gross Tax so far/Tax Code/Pension) ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAYE Calculator (Gross Tax so far/Tax Code/Pension) ?

Hi all.

Anyone know of a free (online) PAYE/NI Tax calculator that can take into account..

1. Gross pay so far (Its well under the £12.5K amount so I wont be paying any tax this financial year

2. An allowance should I pay into an existing personal pension.

3. Can assume I'm an umbrella employee (i.e I can add the umbrellas fee and also that I'll be paying the Employers NI - Not a biggie this one as its simple to add it on at the end).

Nearly everyone Ive seen omits these points, I've got a free trial of Brightpay which can do all but 3.

Thanks

Originally posted by andydd68 View Post

Anyone know of a free (online) PAYE/NI Tax calculator that can take into account..

1. Gross pay so far (Its well under the £12.5K amount so I wont be paying any tax this financial year
    err.... Just add the gross pay to the expected pay for the year

2. An allowance should I pay into an existing personal pension.
    No calculator will tell you what you should pay. But just take off what you intend to pay from the gross figure.

3. Can assume I'm an umbrella employee (i.e I can add the umbrellas fee and also that I'll be paying the Employers NI - Not a biggie this one as its simple to add it on at the end).
    Don't quite understand the question, but I think you just want to take the NI, apprentice levy and umbrella fee off the gross pay figure.

Nearly everyone Ive seen omits these points, I've got a free trial of Brightpay which can do all but 3.
    That's cos it's pretty basic to work out. Just adjust the gross pay to suit your cirumstance.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

All the calculators are notoriously unreliable and I'd be very surprised to see one that allows thst level of detail and will come back with anything you could use with confidence.

Have you got a payroll provider yet? If so ask them for a detailed breakdown. If you are thinking of going brolly pick the one you want to go with and get them to give you an example based on your numbers.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not sure I see the point of this - the statutory deductions (including tax based on gross pay for the year so far) can be done using the HMRC online calculators - the rest is according to the organisation you're using so you could spend 30 mins (most) knocking together a dead easy spreadsheet.

Brightpay is pretty decent - what's wrong with using that?

Are you asking because you think there's a gap in the market?

Comment

So the answer is no.

Yes there prob is a gap in the market, nearly every online one doesnt do what I want, it just works on the week 1/month 1 basis which if you start a job half way through a tax year or if like me you dont intend to work 52 weeks a year will provide a completely wrong figure.

Im surprised by the comment 'most are unreliable', surely calculations are calculations..there is no room for unreliability..(except maybe some Umbrella ones which use some odd assumptions such as how much their special offers/money off in stores are worth !....)

Surely Im not unique in this situation..moving from Ltd to brolly, Im not going to be working for full 12 months/tax year...but would like an easy calculator to work out my take home pay, yes i could create a spreadsheet but dont really want to spend the time on it....and as mentioned nearly every calculation Ive seen assumes that the Employer will pay Employer NI but as us brolly workers know..its us who pay.

Comment

So, you want an online piece of software that will do your tax return, rather than paying an accountant?

In your list you didn’t mention any dividends you may have paid, any interest you may have earned, your tax code, etc.
            This is where online calculators are not reliable- they can only calculate based on limited information. If they asked every question required for a tax return, then they would take an hour or more to fill out, at which point most people would complain that it took too long.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              So, you want an online piece of software that will do your tax return, rather than paying an accountant?

In your list you didn’t mention any dividends you may have paid, any interest you may have earned, your tax code, etc.
              This is where online calculators are not reliable- they can only calculate based on limited information. If they asked every question required for a tax return, then they would take an hour or more to fill out, at which point most people would complain that it took too long.
              No..I dont want software that will do my tax return.....I didnt say that, nor am I interested in Dividend calculations (anymore).

I'm here because like many Ive been forced into using an umbrella instead of my Ltd Company, and just wish to check what my take home pay will be, previously I'd use the payroll feature within Freeagent.

The tax code isnt an issue as nearly every calculator already has that feature, thats why I didnt list it above.

Ive only just joined this forum and asked a simple question but some of the answers have been somewhat patronising imo

I ended up creating a spreadsheet that seems to do the job, it will calculate the take home pay for an umbrella employee (i.e assuming that you have to pay the Employer NI), you can type in previous pay, tax code, umbrella margin, expenses and pension (using salary sacrifice) method, anyone wants a copy feel free to drop me a line.

Comment

No..I dont want software that will do my tax return.....I didnt say that, nor am I interested in Dividend calculations (anymore).

I'm here because like many Ive been forced into using an umbrella instead of my Ltd Company, and just wish to check what my take home pay will be, previously I'd use the payroll feature within Freeagent.

The tax code isnt an issue as nearly every calculator already has that feature, thats why I didnt list it above.

Ive only just joined this forum and asked a simple question but some of the answers have been somewhat patronising imo

I ended up creating a spreadsheet that seems to do the job, it will calculate the take home pay for an umbrella employee (i.e assuming that you have to pay the Employer NI), you can type in previous pay, tax code, umbrella margin, expenses and pension (using salary sacrifice) method, anyone wants a copy feel free to drop me a line.
                Be aware that salary sacrifice isnt offered by all agencies (or employers)

Comment

What expenses? You can’t claim any now

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Also, you paying the Employers NICs (and Apprentice Levy) is illegal under the new rules. You are supposed to be being paid your agreed rate less whatever PAYE is appropriate and Employee NICs.

And yes - expenses are gone, not that they are income anyway unless you are doing something wrong.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X