• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for UK LTD Company from EU member state

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for UK LTD Company from EU member state

Hello Everyone!

Newbie here, I'm trying my best!

Background:
    I'm working remotely for the past 5+ years for a UK company. On my payslips I see that I have NI contributions deducted from my salary since I started. I'm with TaxCode NT (no tax), so I'm not paying income tax in the UK.

In the recent months I've been trying to apply for Health Insurance via the Bulgarian authorities, which are telling me that I can have, since I'm paying National Insurance in the UK. As a result I've got official reply from HMRC saying that I'm not liable to pay UK Class 1 NICs since 2015 and I should have these refunded.

I'm trying to understand if I can benefit from those NI contributions when I'm old enough to get a pension? Why my company has been deducting NI if I'm not liable to do that? Is it worth trying to save those years of experience by keeping those NI contributions.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Originally posted by barabas View Post
    Hello Everyone!

Newbie here, I'm trying my best!

Background:
    I'm working remotely for the past 5+ years for a UK company. On my payslips I see that I have NI contributions deducted from my salary since I started. I'm with TaxCode NT (no tax), so I'm not paying income tax in the UK.

In the recent months I've been trying to apply for Health Insurance via the Bulgarian authorities, which are telling me that I can have, since I'm paying National Insurance in the UK. As a result I've got official reply from HMRC saying that I'm not liable to pay UK Class 1 NICs since 2015 and I should have these refunded.

I'm trying to understand if I can benefit from those NI contributions when I'm old enough to get a pension? Why my company has been deducting NI if I'm not liable to do that? Is it worth trying to save those years of experience by keeping those NI contributions.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    It is often possible to pay National Insurance if you are working for a UK company in another European country. Since this is not compulsory you can decide to have it refunded as HMRC have indicated. Normally paying UK National Insurance contributions means you're exempt from paying similar contributions in the country you are working in.

You will be eligible for a UK pension when you retire. You need to figure out whether the pension entitlement is worth the National Insurance you've been paying.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      It is often possible to pay National Insurance if you are working for a UK company in another European country. Since this is not compulsory you can decide to have it refunded as HMRC have indicated. Normally paying UK National Insurance contributions means you're exempt from paying similar contributions in the country you are working in.

You will be eligible for a UK pension when you retire. You need to figure out whether the pension entitlement is worth the National Insurance you've been paying.
      Thank you! Indeed I need to figure out if it's worth paying NI in the UK!

Comment

Working...
      X